[SOLVED] Buying a new GPU for a Ryzen 5 3600 or a Ryzen 3 3100

Jan 2, 2021
I will explain the situation better here:

My brother has a computer that currently has a Ryzen 5 3600 and a GTX 1050 ti. I am planning on building a computer for myself with a Ryzen 3 3100.
I am trying to decide whether to buy a new graphics card for him and use the GTX 1050 ti for my build, or whether to just get a new card for my build. The GTX 1050 ti would be a good fit for my build if I decided to buy him a graphics card.
In specific, I would like to record and stream on my computer, and for that reason I want a NVIDIA graphics card that is at least a GTX in order to take advantage of the NVENC encoder so I can record in 1080p60. My brother doesn't record, and if I were to buy him a new graphics card to exchange with his, he would prefer to have a graphics card with more memory, as the GTX 1050 ti only has 4GB. I could buy a graphics card for myself, but I would still want it to be a GTX with an NVENC encoder.
I also would like to keep my budget low for this build, so my max preferred price is $150, but my absolute maximum would be somewhere around $170-180.

I have been looking into it, and one option I am looking at is the RX 570 to replace the GTX 1050 ti. On UserBenchmark, it says that the RX 570 performs better than the GTX 1050 ti, but after more research, I found both an RX 570 with 4GB and 8GB of memory, and I'm not sure which one UserBenchmark is referring to. I would probably prefer to get the 8GB version anyways, but the prices on those right now seem to be upwards of $200, while I found a 4GB for less than $150. I know prices right now for many graphics cards are massively overpriced, but when prices drop again, would the RX 570 8GB be viable, or would something else be better.

I have done some research, but I am really new to this, and I don't know what's really best. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Solution
I'll keep an eye out. These days, it's more about availability than anything.

For reference, an RX570 is about 40% faster than a 1050Ti. At that performance level (1080p, and probably med-high to high settings for decent framerates, not ULTRA-UBER-OMG-Gam3R settings), I wouldn't have any reservations about getting a 4GB variant. Before COVID, 4GB RX570 would cost you $125 (keep that in mind for reference). Now we've got COVID and a resurgence of Crypto-mining.

The 1050Ti has ALWAYS been a poor price/performance value because it serves a niche of not needing external power (draws all power from the mobo slot). Until the GTX1650 was released, the 1050Ti was essentially the highest performing GPU that doesn't require external power...
Jan 2, 2021
Why does your brother get all the good stuff when your system and budget are decidedly inferior? Maybe he should sell you his 1050Ti for $120 and get a new GPU with his own money.
I bought him the 1050 ti as a birthday present. The reason my budget is inferior is because I'm building this PC with my own money for myself. My brother's PC was mostly bought by my Dad, and there was a bigger budget for it. I'm not asking my question to complain about any sort of inequality, as the only reason for the inequality is that I want to buy a PC for myself that I can take with me to college, and therefore I am using my own money to buy it.

Do you have any advice on what sort of graphics card I should get? Should I get one for him that's better than the 1050 ti and take the 1050 ti for myself, or should I buy a new graphics card for my computer that would be cheaper. I am asking because conceivably, by buying my brother a better card than the 1050 ti which was more catered to what he needs in a graphics card, I can get both a cheaper, better performing card for him while getting a card that is more catered to my needs. On the other hand, I might be able to find a good deal on a graphics card only for myself that suits my recording needs, but it might be similarly expensive because graphics cards which have specific encoding features are more expensive, and both of us could have a graphics card which could be better.

Jan 2, 2021
I am just looking for advice on which graphics cards that are better than a 1050 ti have a great value, and which ones that are comparable to a 1050 ti have a better value, and whether I should opt for a better graphics card for recording that might have less performance overall for myself, or whether I should try for a graphics card that is more suited for general use but has better performance and value than the 1050 ti.

For reference, an RX570 is about 40% faster than a 1050Ti. At that performance level (1080p, and probably med-high to high settings for decent framerates, not ULTRA-UBER-OMG-Gam3R settings), I wouldn't have any reservations about getting a 4GB variant. Before COVID, 4GB RX570 would cost you $125 (keep that in mind for reference). Now we've got COVID and a resurgence of Crypto-mining.

The 1050Ti has ALWAYS been a poor price/performance value because it serves a niche of not needing external power (draws all power from the mobo slot). Until the GTX1650 was released, the 1050Ti was essentially the highest performing GPU that doesn't require external power. That's a big deal for people with OEM machines that have crummy, low wattage PSUs with no 6 or 8 pin GPU power connectors. The GTX10xx generation is also the last that "guaranteed" works with non-UEFI BIOS machines (Sandy Bridge era or before) since AMD RX GPUs don't. Sometimes that limitation can be remedied from both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but not always.

Solution
Jan 2, 2021

The 1050Ti has ALWAYS been a poor price/performance value because it serves a niche of not needing external power (draws all power from the mobo slot). Until the GTX1650 was released, the 1050Ti was essentially the highest performing GPU that doesn't require external power. That's a big deal for people with OEM machines that have crummy, low wattage PSUs with no 6 or 8 pin GPU power connectors. The GTX10xx generation is also the last that "guaranteed" works with non-UEFI BIOS machines (Sandy Bridge era or before) since AMD RX GPUs don't. Sometimes that limitation can be remedied from both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but not always.
Thanks tennis2! :) Although I was wondering where you got the 40% faster scores. Thanks for helping me!

Hardware reviews:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-570-4gb,5028-5.html

40% is a pretty conservative figure for comparing the RX570 to the 1050Ti (since the difference typically exceeds 40%), but at least that way it's hard to argue against.

Don't pay attention to pricing in this graph, just included it as a conglomerate performance metric.
99thvalue.png

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2021
Hardware reviews:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-570-4gb,5028-5.html

40% is a pretty conservative figure for comparing the RX570 to the 1050Ti (since the difference typically exceeds 40%), but at least that way it's hard to argue against.

Don't pay attention to pricing in this graph, just included it as a conglomerate performance metric.
99thvalue.png
I've been looking mainly at UserBenchmark for scores, do you know if this site is accurate?
I'm not sure, and I know that it has problems with pricing.

Userbenchmark is garbage IMO.

Card manufacturer doesn't matter in the sense you're probably thinking. All manufacturers get the ACUTAL GPU chips from AMD or Nvidia (well, the fab that they're made at). Both AMD and Nvidia produce a "reference spec board design" for card manufacturers to go by also. Each card manufacturer will have a range of SKUs available. Higher tier SKUs will have better coolers and/or sometimes higher "binned" GPU chips. If you see 2 cards from a manufacturer with the EXACT same cooler, but one advertises higher frequencies, that's a result of binning. Binning is minor compared to cooler design though. Some of the mid to high end cards may have board designs (VRM is a common thing to beef up) that exceed the reference spec, although the benefit of that is difficult to quantify outside of extreme overclocking situations. At the low end of the price range from any given manufacturer, you'll get a "bottom of the barrel" cooler. Enough to keep the GPU within temp spec, but probably not going to be overly quiet in the process. Mid-range is where most people tend to end up (ignoring environmental factors like availability and/or price inflation beyond MSRP). The highest end SKUs typically offer little/no tangible value to the average consumer.

In times like this, you're not really going to have the luxury of fair pricing since availability is driving prices all over the place. A $250 RX570 could very possibly be WORSE than a $170 one, it's the wild west out there right now. Do you research. Google around for reviews before you buy.