[SOLVED] Buying a new graphic card

May 12, 2020
Hi all,

I wanted to ask which graphic card I should buy for better performance in gaming. I'm noobish to this kind of stuff (and other stuff). Could u give me advice in this matter?

Below are my specs:

-Motherboard: MSI H310M PRO-M2 plus
-CPU: Intel I5-9600K
-RAM: Corsair DDR4-2400 2x8 GB
-Graphic card: Gtx 1050 Ti
Windows 10 64 bit

Thanks!!

Solution
Hii all, would the GTX 2060 OC be a good choice as card? Would it fit with my existing parts? (I should also need a new power supply!)

-The overall height and width and lenght should be fine.

-The PCI connection is PCI 3.1x16 but on my motherboard, it has PCI3.0x16. But as I looked up, this is backwards compatible, to my understanding?

-Not enough power supply - I should buy a new one

Is there anything else, I need to take a look at?

Thanx!

It would be an excellent choice, however i would consider holding off buying one for a little bit, the value of it new and second hand will be crushed when the 3060 comes out, going from a 1050ti to a 2060 would be nice ... but it won't blow you away, when a 3060 will...

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
It really depends, have a look at what kinds of fps you can expect to get with your processor when paired with a few of the latest graphics cards, you can usually find plenty of benchmark videos on youtube that can give you some idea of what you are heading for, as it can be the processor holding you back rather than the gpu in some cases

May 12, 2020
It really depends, have a look at what kinds of fps you can expect to get with your processor when paired with a few of the latest graphics cards, you can usually find plenty of benchmark videos on youtube that can give you some idea of what you are heading for, as it can be the processor holding you back rather than the gpu in some cases
Thanks. I will look on the internet for this kind of benchmark.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What about your monitor:
  • What is the resolution?
  • What is the refresh rate?
  • Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
  • The brand and exact model number would help.

Likewise, knowing the brand and exact model of your existing PSU would be important - or, at the very least, a clear photo of the power specifications sticker.

May 12, 2020
Hii all, would the GTX 2060 OC be a good choice as card? Would it fit with my existing parts? (I should also need a new power supply!)

-The PCI connection is PCI 3.1x16 but on my motherboard, it has PCI3.0x16. But as I looked up, this is backwards compatible, to my understanding?

Thanx!

Last edited:
Reactions: mctrader07

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019

Thanx!

It would be an excellent choice, however i would consider holding off buying one for a little bit, the value of it new and second hand will be crushed when the 3060 comes out, going from a 1050ti to a 2060 would be nice ... but it won't blow you away, when a 3060 will and probably not for too much more money, as the pricing on the 2060's is still pretty high anyway, it's not a good deal considering the claim that a 3060 will supposedly be close to a 2080ti in performance, if that's true and you buy one at launch you will have a graphics card that might last 5 years and not 2, with the latest drivers and hardware aswell, rather than something that is already 2 years old, on an older architecture, that is slower and was not much cheaper either, take this time and save your money

Also it seems like your cpu only pulls about 120 watts of power at full load, a 2060 will pull about 160ish, so at full load, which is normally not something the average user will ever get too then you would not max out your psu, so long as it is a quality branded 80+ bronze or higher it should be ok for now

Solution