Buying a new graphics card

robertcassy13

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Hi I am interested in buying a new graphics . I have a Dell Precision Workstation 490 ,my cpu is 750 watts and CPU is Intel Xeon E5345 .I was looking at buying one of the folowing:
GeForce GTX 760 ,Radeon R9 290 , Radeon R9 270 .
I just want to know if they would be compatible with my PC ,and if not do you have any other suggestions for a Graphics card

Solution

.."adequately for some years..." is exactly what is not futureproof in terms of PC's. If you buy R9 270 today for $150 and R9 290x for $300. You spend $150 for something which will have minimal performance boost in most cases. In those few years those cards will be worth nothing, nothing - nothing = 0 so you can sell one card on ebay and buy one from there for $5 more. But why would you do that if its has performance below average of cards at that time on the market... you need to buy new...

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

Negative, its Core2Quad equivalent @ 2.33 Ghz. 750Ti/R9 270 is most i would recommend. I had Q8400 @ 3,2Ghz paired with 7850 and in some games CPU was choking while GPU usage was not more than 50-60%. From 2,33 to 3,2 is a huge gap thus it will make things even more obvious.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Noneless its dual, in this scenario its rather about per/core performance than a number of cores total. Btw there is not such thing as future proof, Q1 2015 ATI is dropping new cards, even 290x will be outdated then. If you are going to buy new pc next year then wait, if not my previous suggestion is valid... more than GTX750/TI /270/X is waste of cash and lazy gigaflops for gaming.

CreationP

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Future proof, in my mind, means that you can keep a card and use it adequately for some years, not getting the latest technology the moment they get out. Why not give 50 euros more to get the r9 280x rather than r9 270 or any of the other cards?

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

.."adequately for some years..." is exactly what is not futureproof in terms of PC's. If you buy R9 270 today for $150 and R9 290x for $300. You spend $150 for something which will have minimal performance boost in most cases. In those few years those cards will be worth nothing, nothing - nothing = 0 so you can sell one card on ebay and buy one from there for $5 more. But why would you do that if its has performance below average of cards at that time on the market... you need to buy new one anyways or have extraordinary
CPU but poor GPU.... its never ending nonsense.
Future proof is buying gold, since it rises in value, paying more for something which u are not using is just posh.

OP will do what he wants obviously he has consciousness to make own decision, from choices which seems more logical.

Solution

CreationP

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I think you intentionaly try to shift the attention elsewhere. You suggested 3 cards that are not worth the money at the current state of gaming, they are not going to last more than a year and they play current games at medium while you make my suggestions obsolete saying that you should invest in gold to be future proof.

The cards you suggested are just 50 euros cheaper that some of the cards I suggested and the cost/power is a waste. When I buy a PC I want it to last at least 2 years. That is what a futureproof in PC terms means. PC specs change each month so unless you have an unlimited budget, by your reasoning, you will NEVER have a future proof PC.

My old PC stayed with me 5 years because I made it future proof by shopping smart! My PSU of 750 watts haven't changed it yet. I didn't need the power then but I need it now. I bought it at 90 euros then because people did not need that, now it costs about 150-180, come to think of it, all the parts of my old PC were 8 years old except the graphics because I did not settle for "what should I have bought for my rig" but because I bought some parts that I could use after upgrading.

R9 280x does not have below average performance. It is 5% slower than gtx 780 with half the price. Unless you want to convince people that gtx 780 is a "below the average" card that "will be obsolete in 2 months". And yes, future proof means 2-3 years of doing what you want to do without having to spend more money every couple of months or every year round to buy more mediocre parts.

Of course the OP will buy what he thinks is best but suggesting him a true below the average card that only costs 50 euros less in full price (or maybe less if you find an offer) that a good card that can stand pc gaming for at least 1-1.5 year is just null.

Ra_V_en

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Lemme get back to your the first post: " I would go for a GTX 780ti, r9 290 or r9 290x."

You would do that, I wouldn't. You spend unnecessary tax for something being high-end, with hope you will get full use of it at some not specified time. It might end up with situation that when the time comes you can get the same card for even less then the extra you would have to pay at the start... and with such radically changing part as GPU it probably will. At the end in 2016 you end up with R9 290X worth $100 me with R9 270 worth $70, but i still have +$150 from prior savings.. and actually can get a brand new "R9 480X" or whatever which is twice as faster that R9 290X you have.... are you getting the point yet? Which way of thinking is more futureproof now?

Obviously if he can get 280X for minor extra.. why not, its his call does he want to pay extra or not.

CreationP

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I understand your argument completely.

If the OP has no intentions of upgrading within the year (2015 for obvious reasons) then there is no reason to buy something expesive. With his intentions of buying an expensive card at the first post what I understand is that he wants a good graphics card in order to update in a timely manner his CPU also. If he has no upgrade plans even buying a medium graphics at that point is pointless. He would have been better to save money to make an overhaul when he can. That is why I said "I would go for..." with a plan to get a new CPU to complement my new GPU.

I hope we are in the same page now Ra_V_en. :)