Bullseye21

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I'm in need of a new HDD soon, but don't know which to buy. Im thinking of buying this IDE HDD:
80GB 7200rpm 8Mb Cache ATA 133Mbps Calypso Maxtor

Any suggestions?

RichPLS

Champion
Looks fine to me, I suggest looking at what is available from Maxtor, Wester Digital, SeaGate, etc, and comparing features with price and warranty and get the cheapest with what is important to you.
I look for at least 8MB cache, 7200rpm and a 3 year warranty, then the best price of those...

RichPLS

Champion
True, but when I was shopping two weeks ago, the price was significantly more, and the WD 250gig SATA2 was only 115 at newegg with 3 years. Worth the lower price to me, since after 3 years, will be looking to upgrade anyway...

Bullseye21

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
meh, I think i'll be going for a maxtor... even though my failing hdd is a maxtor. My bro has a dislike for WD and Seagate...

jokersgrin

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2005
Seagate just bought out Maxtor!!!!

info...got 6 7200.7 120gig drives in my rig, from about 1 1/2 year ago...no problems yet, quiet, and fast!

so buying a maxtor is really a seagate... 8O

RichPLS

Champion
not if they keep two different channels/fabs going. Very likely after acquisition to merge technology on future designed drives, but current production and immediate future pre-designed drives remain as they were before acquisition.