Buying a new laptop in a few days.

mdiesel4747

Reputable
Sep 11, 2017
Software guy humbly asking advice from the expert council of hardware connoisseurs. You guys helped me out putting together a desktop last time around. I appreciate that a lot gents!
I do web dev running my local on a vm, virtualbox/homestead. I will run Linux not Mac/windowns. Keeping my environments on my main linux work desktop and secondary laptop the same.

Priorities (in order):
  1. web dev, runs well, runs quiet
  2. durability, long lasting (including battery charger)
  3. ease of use, good screen size + resolution

CPU: AMD Ryzen preferred
RAM: idk how much for running vm. Good stuff needed probably.

1. What is your budget? $600-800, will not be my main machine, will consider $1000 if value is there for a web dev.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Bigger screen preferred for ease of use. Thinner preferred.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080 preferred.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, not a desktop replacement. This is for secondary use to my desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
More preferred. 10h give or take.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I don't do much graphic design/video editing, but options always welcome. This is icing on the cake, if not too expensive.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
512gb preferred. SSD preferred.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
None.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
around 5 years, more durable the better. especially the battery charger. Priority.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD read/write could be nice. This is icing on the cake.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No MAC, I use Linux. Keeps things consistent if I use my desktop.
AMD Ryzen preferred.
Looked at Acer Swift 3, but I don't want a fingerprint reader on my laptop.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Thanks again for putting up with a software guy haha. I'll be monitoring this thread for awhile. Any advice is very welcome. Cheers.

Lutfij

Titan
These days, optical drives add vertical height to the laptop and isn't used by many which is why they are opted out on concurrent gen laptops.

From this shortlisting I'd look into this one by Lenovo but the screen size wasn't specified. Going larger would mean more weight and less on mobility. Larger will also mean more spent with little change in components/specs. I used Newegg but you could find better deals on other sites which is why we ask for preferred site of purchase(and to also cater to who you're comfortable purchasing from).

Reactions: mdiesel4747

mdiesel4747

Reputable
Sep 11, 2017
Ended up going with this guy on sale for $550 (sale ends today)
https://www.newegg.com/Pure-Silver-...stream/p/N82E16834316931?Item=N82E16834316931
Only ends up with 256GB SSD and 8GB LPDDR4 RAM, but I couldn't justify adding a 100 bucks for an upgrade. It has a great battery life 10+ hrs IIRC. I think it'll suit my needs for now.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it a bunch. Forgot how newegg has a great filtering system.

P.S. I don't see a best answer tag or a solved tag for a reason unbeknownst to me.