Buying a new laptop, need some opinions :)

Jan 30, 2023
Hello, so as the title says I would like to ask for some opinions on a new laptop. I havent been following the industry close for some time now so I dont really know much about current offers.

So my budget is about 1400 EUR.

What I would really like to see is a bigger screen (17"). And if they still make new laptops with old SSD disks (not m2) I would kinda prefer that, of course it can have an m2 disk but if it has a slot for the regular SSD that would be huge plus for me.

The laptop would mainly be using for movies, some light work and of course some gaming from time to time :)

Thanks everyone in advance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hello, so as the title says I would like to ask for some opinions on a new laptop. I havent been following the industry close for some time now so I dont really know much about current offers.

So my budget is about 1400 EUR.

What I would really like to see is a bigger screen (17"). And if they still make new laptops with old SSD disks (not m2) I would kinda prefer that, of course it can have an m2 disk but if it has a slot for the regular SSD that would be huge plus for me.

The laptop would mainly be using for movies, some light work and of course some gaming from time to time :)

Thanks everyone in advance.

What kind of gaming? MMOs, Single player RPGs, fast paced first person shooters? Do you want to prioritize FPS or visual quality?

Might be able to track down a laptop with a hard drive in it that you could swap for a SATA SSD, but most laptops will have M.2 drives, and possibly room for a second one.

And Euros is cool, but specific country helps a lot in picking something out. Taxes vary.

Reactions: yowefah

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Here is an interesting model for lighter gaming from Germany. Doesn't come with an OS though if that bothers you (kind of preferable really, no bloatware, just download Windows 11 to a USB stick and it will be ready in probably under twenty minutes, just add drivers)

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/GIGABYTE-A7-GeForce-Operating-K1-BDE1130SD/dp/B0B6HKKKHP

So in your price range, things like the Ryzen 5800H with an RTX3060 would be pretty common. i5-12500H as well. 16GB of ram with 1TB or 512GB NVMe SSDs. 17" 144hz 1080p displays is a nice mid-range gaming laptop.

We are right on the cusp of new mobile GPUs from Nvidia, supposed to launch the 4050 and 4060 in early February, this might drive the price of 30 series GPUs down.

n2ubp

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Many new laptops no longer use memory sockets and you may not be able to add more memory after purchase. Lenovo P Series Thinkpad laptops, Dell XPS 17, Dell Precision models would probably easily handle your requirements but not sure if they are within your budget.

Olivia Simmons

Prominent
May 30, 2022
If you want to buy a laptop for 1400 EUR then you have many options like ASUS ROG Zephyrus G17, Acer Predator Helios 3001, MSI GE75 Raider, etc. These laptops should be able to handle movie playback, light work, and some gaming. These all PC's have a 17.3-inch screen,

logainofhades

Titan
Many new laptops no longer use memory sockets and you may not be able to add more memory after purchase. Lenovo P Series Thinkpad laptops, Dell XPS 17, Dell Precision models would probably easily handle your requirements but not sure if they are within your budget.

Gaming laptops, in my experience, do not do this. I would avoid Dell, like the plague. They are terrible about graphics drivers updates, and force you to use their own custom driver, vs just getting it from Nvidia, or AMD. I have had Asus, Acer, and Lenovo gaming laptops, and didn't have to deal with any of it. Lenovo Legion being my current one.

Jan 30, 2023
What kind of gaming? MMOs, Single player RPGs, fast paced first person shooters? Do you want to prioritize FPS or visual quality?

Might be able to track down a laptop with a hard drive in it that you could swap for a SATA SSD, but most laptops will have M.2 drives, and possibly room for a second one.

And Euros is cool, but specific country helps a lot in picking something out. Taxes vary.

Hey, mostly strategy games, maybe some FPS, simulators and so on :) I would still prefer any performance over the visual quality. The specific country would be Slovenia.

Here is an interesting model for lighter gaming from Germany. Doesn't come with an OS though if that bothers you (kind of preferable really, no bloatware, just download Windows 11 to a USB stick and it will be ready in probably under twenty minutes, just add drivers)

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/GIGABYTE-A7-GeForce-Operating-K1-BDE1130SD/dp/B0B6HKKKHP

So in your price range, things like the Ryzen 5800H with an RTX3060 would be pretty common. i5-12500H as well. 16GB of ram with 1TB or 512GB NVMe SSDs. 17" 144hz 1080p displays is a nice mid-range gaming laptop.

We are right on the cusp of new mobile GPUs from Nvidia, supposed to launch the 4050 and 4060 in early February, this might drive the price of 30 series GPUs down.

This one looks very interesting and even under the price. You think I could get any upgrade with the extra 200 eur or so? :) Or should I wait for the launch of the new series and then see whats on the market?

Hey, thanks for the comment. Looked at the XPS one just before :)

If you want to buy a laptop for 1400 EUR then you have many options like ASUS ROG Zephyrus G17, Acer Predator Helios 3001, MSI GE75 Raider, etc. These laptops should be able to handle movie playback, light work, and some gaming. These all PC's have a 17.3-inch screen,

I really like the ROG series from the ASUS so I cant really go wrong with the G17 one right?

Gaming laptops, in my experience, do not do this. I would avoid Dell, like the plague. They are terrible about graphics drivers updates, and force you to use their own custom driver, vs just getting it from Nvidia, or AMD. I have had Asus, Acer, and Lenovo gaming laptops, and didn't have to deal with any of it. Lenovo Legion being my current one.

Hey, thank you for the comment. With which brand did you have the best experience so far if I may ask?

logainofhades

Titan
All three have treated me well. The Asus was an old 2nd gen i5, and finally gave out on me, late last year. The Acer Predator my wife now uses. It's a 7th gen i7 with a gtx 1060, My current lenovo legion, I have had about 3 years now, iirc, 9th gen i7 and a 1660ti. The Lenovo though, I would have to say is my favorite.