Question Buying a new laptop

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
1. What is your budget? 500-700 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Doesn't matter but 15' would be nice.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't matter

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Yes it will be used in lieu of my current work desktop

5. How much battery life do you need? I don't think that matters a great deal.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Web browsing, Tally (an ERP software), some Office and possibly watching videos

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 256GB can suffice but 512 would be nice.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 10 years because my father doesn't like replacing electronics soon.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Doesn't matter.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Doesn't matter I think unless it's some completely new company in which case my father would be distrustful of the brand.

13. What country do you live in? India.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

My father wants to replace his current work desktop which is incredibly slow. He's going to use this laptop for office work. We are travelling to the US for two months and buying the laptop from there as they are much cheaper. The most important thing is for the laptop to be durable and last for 10 years or at least 7-8 years. It's not going to be used for gaming or video editing so GPU is irrelevant.

I wanted opinion on buying a refurbished MacBook Air M1 for 700 USD in 2023. Is it still a good value and does it have durability? I have read that it is buttery smooth and has a very long battery life. I have never owned a refurbished item so I am reluctant to buy it as I don't know what condition I will get it in or how long it will last. At ~500-700 USD what would be the best laptop choice?

Lutfij

Titan
What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Web browsing, Tally (an ERP software), some Office and possibly watching videos
+
I wanted opinion on buying a refurbished MacBook Air M1 for 700 USD in 2023.
Honestly, $700 for a Macbook Air M1 for those kinds of use case scenarios is pretty high...I mean your father would be able to get by with a brand new laptop with a concurrent generation i3.

Since you're located in India, could you pass on a preferred site for purchase so we can see what you have access to? Often times we might recommend a laptop which to us might seem like a perfect deal but due to region and availability, that deal is either absurd(too expensive) or it just isn't in your market. Or are you looking to buy something from USA(since you stated the currency above)? If so, please keep in mind shipping costs from USA to India.

Last edited:

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Honestly, $700 for a Macbook Air M1 for those kinds of use case scenarios is pretty high...I mean your father would be able to get by with a brand new laptop with a concurrent generation i3.

Since you're located in India, could you pass on a preferred site for purchase so we can see what you have access to? Often times we might recommend a laptop which to us might seem like a perfect deal but due to region and availability, that deal is either absurd(too expensive) or it just isn't in your market. Or are you looking to buy something from USA(since you stated the currency above)? If so, please keep in mind shipping costs from USA to India.
I didn't want to get a laptop below 500 USD because all of them seem like dual core and those laptops don't have a chance to stand for very long time do they? I need it to last it for 5 years. Feel free to correct me.

I am currently in the US for a month so I can buy laptops from here in Oakland. Laptops are cheaper here. I don't have a preference for seller as long as they aren't shady. Which specific laptop do you think is the best in class for light workloads like my father's?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a "WORK LAPTOP" is all of his work online in web browsers, or does he require actual software to be installed on his PC? Apple can have some limitations with programs available to install on his computer.

Also, if he's old and already knows Windows. It might not be a good idea to switch him to MacOS.

Other than that, if I were him, I'd get a 16" screen. Gives a little more height but still fits into backpacks and bags made for 15" laptops. Doesn't add any bulk to the laptop at all.

If you get a U series processor such as the AMD 7735U or Intel U series, the wattage is typically much lower. This plays out nicely in terms of heat under the keyboard as well as fan noise when just sitting at a desk. Also, less prone to overheating on hotter summer months when not running Air conditioning. The Intel U series only gives 2 P cores, so I'd personally stick with AMD if you want a U series processor. Such as this laptop: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...-512gbssd-arctic-grey/6533956.p?skuId=6533956 Though the 8GB ram is a little low, I'd prefer 16GB. I'd ask them if it has a free slot available to add another 8GB stick in the future.

Here's the specsheet for your laptop: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_3_17ABA7/IdeaPad_3_17ABA7_Spec.pdf

For what your father is doing, it should be fine, other than the small SSD drive. If all of his work is online in web browsers or the cloud. Then he's probably fine with 256GB, but if he has several programs he has to install and does work on the laptop itself, 256GB will fill up too soon. According to the specsheet, it depends on which battery is installed on this laptop. If it has a 38kkwh battery, then there should be an open SATA SSD bay available to add another hard drive. If it has the larger 45kwh battery than he can only replace the 256GB M.2 2280 ssd that's already there. This is something that can be done at a later date. You'll need to unscrew the bottom panel to see what options are available.

17.3" is fine as a desktop replacement. It's not that portable if you're a student or constantly traveling. But for your father's use case, it makes sense.

8GB of ram is fine for most office type people, but not for power users. But according to the specsheet this laptop has that 8GB soldered, however, it has a single slot for another 8GB stick. I would consider ordering the part to upgrade it to 16GB. You could also upgrade at a later data, RAM prices for this are cheap these days, the few extra dollars to ship to your country is negligible.

5625U cpu should have good battery life and 6 core 12 threads is fine for most people.

kanishknishar

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2016
Here's the specsheet for your laptop: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_3_17ABA7/IdeaPad_3_17ABA7_Spec.pdf

For what your father is doing, it should be fine, other than the small SSD drive. If all of his work is online in web browsers or the cloud. Then he's probably fine with 256GB, but if he has several programs he has to install and does work on the laptop itself, 256GB will fill up too soon. According to the specsheet, it depends on which battery is installed on this laptop. If it has a 38kkwh battery, then there should be an open SATA SSD bay available to add another hard drive. If it has the larger 45kwh battery than he can only replace the 256GB M.2 2280 ssd that's already there. This is something that can be done at a later date. You'll need to unscrew the bottom panel to see what options are available.

17.3" is fine as a desktop replacement. It's not that portable if you're a student or constantly traveling. But for your father's use case, it makes sense.

8GB of ram is fine for most office type people, but not for power users. But according to the specsheet this laptop has that 8GB soldered, however, it has a single slot for another 8GB stick. I would consider ordering the part to upgrade it to 16GB. You could also upgrade at a later data, RAM prices for this are cheap these days, the few extra dollars to ship to your country is negligible.

5625U cpu should have good battery life and 6 core 12 threads is fine for most people.
This supports microSD card slot. Would that not suffice as a substitute?

This supports microSD card slot. Would that not suffice as a substitute?
As slow file storage it would suffice. Most microSD cards have relatively slow sustained write speeds, like 20-50MB/s. Some higher end cards have higher write speeds but the slot reader must be capable to support them, not all are. They also cost similar to an SSD.
A cheap M.2 SSD has a typical write speed of 2000MB/s or higher. A SATA ssd will have a speed of 500MB/s.

When opening programs and transferring files, the SSD’s will seem much smoother and far better.

Price wise they are about the same but the SSD is way faster. This 1TB drive is $35, assuming this laptop has the 38kwh battery. https://www.amazon.com/Leven-JS600-Internal-Solid-JS600SSD1TB/dp/B07YBYZQ1V

May 3, 2023
Here's the specsheet for your laptop: https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/IdeaPad/IdeaPad_3_17ABA7/IdeaPad_3_17ABA7_Spec.pdf a small world cup

I think Lenovo IdeaPad is not good enough. Poor workmanship and poor durability.
I have used the Thinkbook line, and the price is a bit higher, but I am delighted when using it.

TRENDING THREADS