Question buying a new notebook screen

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
i have an apple macbook 2009 (with windows installed) but i want to change the screen/monitor (which is presenting graphical problems such as white spots on it when showing dark images) . i have the following questions regarding this =

1) how i know the model of the screen? (i believe it is an A1278 model as it looks like one but im not sure).

2) if i buy a screen from 2010 that looks the same in appearance and is also an A1286, will it work?

3) if i buy a A1286 screen that has 15 inches (i believe the one is have is 13 inches but im not sure), will it work ?

thanks.

Last edited:
I understand you concerns and I understand you are likely from a region where hardware is hard to come by and expensive. However, replacing a screen on a 2009 Macbook, which is now of course 14 years old, is simply ludicrous. There is really NO scenario where this makes sense. The cost of a replacement display screen for a 2009 Macbook is more than getting a good used 2013 or newer Macbook, so why would anybody do it?

Besides which, NEW replacement hardware hasn't been manufactured for these devices in MANY years, so whatever you get, is going to probably be older than any device you buy that is newer than that. Plus, as you've already discovered, there is a very good chance that any display you buy will NOT work with your device. Not even if it was MEANT for use with a 2009 Macbook, because these devices are so different from region to region that there is almost no way of knowing that any replacement part will work without first trying it because while the new market was very regional, the used market is global. And global sellers don't give a rats' ass whether the part you buy works with your device or not. They are not giving you you money back if it is not right.

In the end, there is literally ZERO reason to pay for a replacement part for ANY 2009 device. Especially not an Apple product. If you do so, you are rolling the dice and I hope you have good luck with that but it IS going to be a roll of the dice no matter WHO tells you otherwise.

Reactions: Corwin65

ashtekaros

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
i know about the risks , but i need to do this to save money and all that. the notebook will only be my secondary pc which i will use only for job deals, payments, working and studying,

i want to try before i give up from this pc. so i will repeat the former questions:

1) how i know the model of the screen? (i believe it is an A1278 model as it looks like one but im not sure).

2) if i buy a screen from 2010 that looks the same in appearance and is also an A1286, will it work?

3) if i buy a A1286 screen that has 15 inches (i believe the one is have is 13 inches but im not sure), will it work ?

Last edited: