Buying a new processor, confused.

huzaifasaqib23

Prominent
Apr 30, 2018
Hey guys! I was planning to buy a new processor, because my previous processor(i5 2400) ,sometimes, seems to bottleneck my gpu(gtx 960 4gb). Now im confused on 1)whether i should buy an i7 3770k ,which is the only processor with maximum freaquency to fit in my motherboard's socket(LGA 1155), but the increase in perfomance seems to be less, 2)or should i buy a new motherboard and try to go for a better intel processor. 3)And if i do buy a new motherboard, will my previous rams and gpu and processor fit in it? Im really confused guys, please help. (I have a low budget btw :3)

Solution
OP is well informed, the i7 3770k is supported by many boards that were released for the 2nd generation intel processors.
If you use DDR3 RAM, 6th and some 7th generation intel processors and motherboards support it, Ryzen and 8th gen intel goes with DDR4.

Still it would be high time to change platform, sell your components as long as you get something for it and invest into a DDR4 platform. A low end Ryzen build would be easy to upgrade in the future!

parani

Honorable
Jun 15, 2015
If u can get the i7 3770k for a better ,buy it .its fine for gtx 960. Ur ddr3 ram will be supported to haswell processors (4th gen ). Skylake/kabylake processors are safer to use with low latency rams but high voltage rams may dsmage mobo if u wanna use it with them .check it before using incase

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If you can get the 3770K for a good price then go for it. however, if you should also look at getting a Z series motherboard to go with it. if you can find these two things secondhand for a good price then do it and overclock the i7. you can get the Hyper 212 Evo for CPU cooling when overclocking for about $20 online. this is possibly your cheapest and best option for your upgrading if you can find the mobo and the CPU for a good price. for the motherboard you will need a Z75 or Z77 chipset for overclocking.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
OP is well informed, the i7 3770k is supported by many boards that were released for the 2nd generation intel processors.
If you use DDR3 RAM, 6th and some 7th generation intel processors and motherboards support it, Ryzen and 8th gen intel goes with DDR4.

Still it would be high time to change platform, sell your components as long as you get something for it and invest into a DDR4 platform. A low end Ryzen build would be easy to upgrade in the future!

Solution

CompuTronix

Intel Master
MERGED QUESTION
Question from huzaifasaqib23 : "Buying a new processor, confused."