Buying a new RAM memory

Armi480

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
Ok, I have Intel core i5 3350P 3.1 quad, gtx 750 ti and 2 slots with ram, one is with a 4 ram and the other is with 2 with 1600 each,I want to remove the 2 ram memory and put a 4gb so I can make 8 in total and that's why I was asking about that memory.

Aefuan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015

And your motherboard? So we know which type of ram is the best for you. Thanks.

Also, as I read you plan to add more RAM. Let me tell you that there's a chance that mixed RAM don't work. If you want to get 8Gb I strongly suggest you that you buy an 8Gb set, or you could have trouble.

I suggest you G. Skill RAM.

SPgamer007

Honorable

If you have the same 4GB Kingstom RAM you linked already in your PC,then go ahead, buy.

Aefuan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015

Do you know there's a chance that it doesn't work? Even with identical brand and model. Never advice someone to buy unpaired RAM. The best you can do is buy the RAM sets paired, they're tested to work together.

SPgamer007

Honorable

You probably have no idea what you are talking about. Chances of it to not work together will occur if OP has DDR2 memory and he is going to put in a different DDR3 memory in system.

IF OP has the exact same memory already as he linked (meaning same CAS timing,speed and aswell as a DDR3) there won't be any issues.

Aefuan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015

I know what i'm talking about. Even identical sticks with the same DDR type, CAS latencys and all identical, could not work if the sticks dont came paired. It happened a lot of times and a lot of people had this problem here on toms hardware. Search for it if you dont trust me.

Armi480

Honorable
Jan 4, 2016
I have AsRock H61M VG3 motherboard and that memory that I have linked has the same frequency and voltage and also DDR3(I am not sure about latency) as the one that I have in my computer.

Aefuan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015

The max RAM speed your mobo will take is 1600MHz so yes, the one you listed will do the work. Anyways I dont suggest to mix it, I would take a new set instead, but you can take the chance: it could work.

And I suggest a better stick for example a G. Skill Sniper/Ripjaws.

Good luck :)

Aefuan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html

"Even though you are buying two of the exact same sets, there is no guarantee that they will work together. The DRAM that goes into a package has been tested to work together. Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one set to another, even when they are the same exact model.

Customers often try this with higher data rate sticks using XMP to set them up. With XMP enabled, the motherboard may read the profile for two sticks of DRAM and set the secondary timings accordingly, but the tRFC timing for two modules may be 226, whereas four sticks require 314. This can be especially hard for most users to troubleshoot/find, as few ever go into the secondary DRAM timings."

Who doesnt know what is talking about?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

Wrong! There are no guarantees when mixing DRAM - even of the same exact model - which is why they test DRAM before it goes into a package. Any time you try an mix it's a crapshoot - might work, might not. Might take a look at the Fiction article, items 1 and 2:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr-dram-myths,4155.html

EDIT: Missed Aefuan's response quoting my article :)

SPgamer007

Honorable
On exception i agree. i wouldn't spread false information, most of the time it has worked for me , aswell the different CAS timing and speed, with the same kingston 4gb memory already in system as he linked i think OP won't face any problems.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

-------------------------------
As said, no guarantees, I've gotten sets straight from the manufacturer that wouldn't play, also they might play fine on one mobo, but not another. I prefer they know it up front, have plenty who were told "It'll work just fine", and then the sticks won't play, so IF the etailer will even give a refund, then the people had to pay return postage, and often restocking fees and up out $20 or more and then have to rebuy DRAM....

davout777

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

Hi tradesman,
Do you have any statistics that the exactly same ram wont work? I just wanna to know the level of risk doing this cos I am planning to buy new rams too, so mixing ram is also making me a little hesitated. Buying new pairs can definitely work, but that means wasting an existing ram. So, this is a probability and cost thinking behind this. Please guide, thank you!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
There are no statistics, it's just maybe they will, maybe they won't - even when same exact model - you can pull sticks right off the assembly line and have no guarantees, that's why manufactures test sticks together till they find ones that will play for packaging together. The forums are full of threads of people trying to mix and failing - won't see as many that work because it's not a problem that needs help ;)

davout777

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

thanks, tradesman 1 ;)

Aefuan

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015

Yeah, would be nice if people post when they solve something too...