antisphere

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
I was wondering what should i be looking for on a ssd besides high reads/writes?
Also i would like a recommendation for the 75-100$ range of ssd's would like to keep it around 60gb if more.

Solution

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
only 3 drives to choose from in that price range. samsung, ocz, and corsair. i would recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147124

OCZ pulls ahead of this drive a little in bench marks but i have seen to many problems with OCZ drives to recommend them. I have not however used corsair drives yet but the reviews on newegg are not promising. The samsung drive i linked only has 1 review and i cant find any real bench mark sites for it. I myself trust the samsung brand for screens so perhaps they also make a good SSD? It is worth noting that a 64GB C drive is crazy small, you will only have 59GB (ish) after formatting. My honest recommendation would be to save up a bit more cash and buy a larger/higher end SSD.

You want to look at bench marks for random data access. sequential data copy and write is rarely done on any computer. its only if your copying a large file from one drive to another. when you buy a platter HD for instance it may have a 100MB/s read speed on the inside of the drive and a 80MB/s read on the outside of the drive. when booting windows or loading an application however its accessing small files all over the drive, thus your access time is also taken into account. getting 10MB/s would be great and is along the lines of what a WD raptor gets but its far more common to get 1-4MB/s when dealing with such small files.

IOps is another thing to look at, thats how many things the HD can handle at once. comes into play when multitasing.

Let's backtrack a bit. What brand and model motherboard do you have? Some motherboards have SATA 3 6Gb/s capabilities and some motherboards have SATA 2 3Gb/s capabilities.

ncc74656 - I know you meant newegg reviews. There are plenty of terchnical reviews of the Samsung 470 series solid state drives. Links to the technical reviews are located in the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

antisphere

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

my motherboard is the ta870u3+ from biostar.

Solution

antisphere

Distinguished
May 26, 2011

Thanks i think i will go with that one.