Buying a new TV, needs some (well a lot of) inputs

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
So my family and I are going to move to a new house next month, and we finally have a space for a new TV. Now, I'm a little unsure about which TV to buy (haven't yet settled on size etc). I do have a bit of 'wanted features list', but as TV isn't my domain, I'd like some input on the matter.

A little bit of a backstory first. When it comes to electronics, we've been sticking with LG since the very beginning. Air conditioners, refrigerators, microwave, washing machines, monitor, you name it. Heck, if LG manufactures PC parts you know damn well where I'm putting my money at. This isn't fanboyism, LG has a great after-sales support here (and if history is anything to go by, their products have been good, rock solid). I mean if it's not broken don't fix it right? Except phones, we're more of a Samsung people than LG (the G4 left a sour taste my man).

Now, the TV. We got our first LG TV in early 2000s. Of course, it was a black, CRT TV. From our 'casual, general-user' perspective, there's nothing wrong with it. It ran for years without serious problem whatsoever (only $10 realigning on its final years). 2010 came and we switched to an LG flat panel. We chose one of the most 'cutting-edge' model we could afford, a 42 inch 1080p TV. It was a blast when we first use it. Again, from the eyes of a general user it's really good. We probably missed some features here and there offered by other TVs but it does what we want so it's good.

Then, we moved to a renthouse far from our home (work reasons). The house is fully furnished, including a Samsung TV. We didn't think much about it as we're not really a TV-maniac but there's something peculiar about it. It's a Smart TV, and it has features that turns out useful (I know, sounds like I'm some sort of caveman who just discovered Smart TV). One of the most useful feature is this ability to 'watch YouTube on TV'. We would play a YouTube on video on our phones, then choose the 'watch on TV' icon on top right, and watch it on the big screen. Or this feature where you mirrored the phone screen to the TV, or even the PC to the TV. Those are features we didn't know we need, and it has radically changed our way of watching TVs.

Alright, now present day, our rent period is almost over, and we're ready to move to a new house. Obviously, we couldn't take the TV with us, but we're thinking of buying a Smart TV for the new house. Just like the old traditions we'd like an LG if it can be helped. After a bit of researching (and kindly correct me if I'm wrong on this one), this screen mirroring feature is enabled by the OS of those smart TVs. Samsung and LG has different OSes for their TV, one runs Tizen and one runs WebOS (which I'll be fair, never heard of either). The question is : can I use those mirroring features on LG-branded Smart TVs? Or is it a Samsung-only affair? I had no experience at all with Smart TVs that isn't Samsung so I'm afraid this is a Samsung-exclusive feature. Also, our phones are all Samsung (I'm running a Note 7 by the way) so would that be a problem, compatibility wise?

Like I said before, we haven't settled with a particular model, so any opinion on the matter is appreciated.

I know this is a long and winding post, sorry for that, but really that's the question. I do have some other points that I feel need to get off my back, but maybe next time.. Thanks

All those mirroring features are present on WebOS for LG TVs.
My TV (mid 2019 model) lets you mirror directly to the TV (Video or Photos), or just send the video to be opened in the youtube app on the TV. Plus it does all the other goodies, youtube, disney+, hulu, netflix, what have you.
I only spent 550 bucks on a 65" LG, its a very base model and its pretty great, so depending on your budget LG TVs do get very impressive.

Don't fuss over screen sharing over wireless, it's not very good tech yet. It tends to be buggy in many devices and applications and is laggy with video. Better to use an MHL to HDMI cable to the TV if you want to play anything from a tablet or phone on the TV.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Well that's good to hear. That's enough for the go ahead then.

Yes I know, TV screen mirroring is more stuttery than my PC trying to run Mirrors Edge at maxed settings, but the ability to have anything on the phone playing on the big screen with just a single touch has its own merit honestly.

Anyway, thanks.

Well that's good to hear. That's enough for the go ahead then.

Yes I know, TV screen mirroring is more stuttery than my PC trying to run Mirrors Edge at maxed settings, but the ability to have anything on the phone playing on the big screen with just a single touch has its own merit honestly.

Anyway, thanks.

I had no issues (well not many at least LOL) using my phone to my TV wirelessly, it displayed. But when I tried to do anything fancy say play a video or run some apps that had complex images it was pixelated and laggy. It's a toy really past some high end stuff. You can toss up some pictures for people to see for example. I tried using Chromecast from a Chrome browser to a TV for a movie, horrible experience, slow to start up and dialog and video would become un-synced very quickly.