Buying a pre-built gaming PC without a GPU?

vxsili

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Hi all. This is my first post as forum member.

Question:

If I buy a pre-built gaming PC without a graphics card because the website only offers stock GPUs instead of reference GPUs, would it be easy to install one myself? Is there anything I need to know?

The GPU is an MSI GTX 970. The website (dinopc.com) only offers stock Nvidia ones.

Would all I need to do is install the GPU and then download the drivers afterwards?

Thanks!

Solution
You can install a GPU yourself, its pretty easy, just put it in the slot, plug in the power connectors and go.

I do think you have gotten a bit confused along the way though, nVidia doesn't make any gaming GPUs anymore, the ones they are offering you are reference cards(nVidia designed but made by the AIB partners), but i think you want one of the ones with the aftermarket coolers not a reference card. Your terminology got all weird.
You can install a GPU yourself, its pretty easy, just put it in the slot, plug in the power connectors and go.

I do think you have gotten a bit confused along the way though, nVidia doesn't make any gaming GPUs anymore, the ones they are offering you are reference cards(nVidia designed but made by the AIB partners), but i think you want one of the ones with the aftermarket coolers not a reference card. Your terminology got all weird.

Solution

vxsili

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
Yes, I think I did get a little confused lol. I haven't built a PC or bought one before, so I'm still getting used to all the terminology and little details. Thanks, though! Now I know I can just install a reference card instead of stock ones.