[SOLVED] Buying a prebuilt, is this good?

Solution
if someone really needs a system built for them i would recommend they go to a local shop and have a custom system designed.
but would never recommend buying one off the shelf.

i would never buy pre-built mostly because a lot of the included components(PSU, memory, fans, drives, etc) are usually very low quality.
if you cannot get a definite list of ALL included components, i would say no for sure.

also any problems you may run into with the included hardware you usually have to return the entire system for any repairs or replacements.
this can become very costly for the buyer.

don't know what 13999 converts to in US dollars,
but anything with an HP logo on it usually costs quite a bit more than it should.
if someone really needs a system built for them i would recommend they go to a local shop and have a custom system designed.
but would never recommend buying one off the shelf.

i would never buy pre-built mostly because a lot of the included components(PSU, memory, fans, drives, etc) are usually very low quality.
if you cannot get a definite list of ALL included components, i would say no for sure.

also any problems you may run into with the included hardware you usually have to return the entire system for any repairs or replacements.
this can become very costly for the buyer.

don't know what 13999 converts to in US dollars,
but anything with an HP logo on it usually costs quite a bit more than it should.

Reactions: zodz77
Solution
Considering a RTX 3060TI is sold at 1300 dollars on Ebay i'd say that this pre-built has a good price.

The only thing I don't like about pre-built is the fact that they do not tell you which brand and model for most part is inside that pre-built.

That PSU is a 500 watts Bronze PSU and for a RTX 3060TI + the rest of your system is really borderline. It will work but you could have issues very soon with a PSU like that. They do not say which model it is.

For that RTX 3060TI they don't say which model it is. Could be the cheapest model.

1TB boot drive NVMe SSD without telling which brand and model. Could be a cheap NVMe SSD.

The RAM is 3200MHz (They don't say the CAS latency of the RAM CL16-CL18 etc). At least they added 2 sticks and not only 1 running in Single Channel.

B550 HP motherboard. Meh.

The price isn't bad. 1600 USD for a RTX 3060TI right now + the rest is good. Just the quality of the parts inside is so so.

Considering a RTX 3060TI is sold at 1300 dollars on Ebay i'd say that this pre-built has a good price.

The only thing I don't like about pre-built is the fact that they do not tell you which brand and model for most part is inside that pre-built.

That PSU is a 500 watts Bronze PSU and for a RTX 3060TI + the rest of your system is really borderline. It will work but you could have issues very soon with a PSU like that. They do not say which model it is.

For that RTX 3060TI they don't say which model it is. Could be the cheapest model.

1TB boot drive NVMe SSD without telling which brand and model. Could be a cheap NVMe SSD.

The RAM is 3200MHz (They don't say the CAS latency of the RAM CL16-CL18 etc). At least they added 2 sticks and not only 1 running in Single Channel.

B550 HP motherboard. Meh.

The price isn't bad. 1600 USD for a RTX 3060TI right now + the rest is good. Just the quality of the parts inside is so so.
Is it possible to change the board & psu on those HP's? I saw that same one the OP posted but with a 3060 listed for $1200 here in the US.

g-unit1111

Titan
Is it possible to change the board & psu on those HP's? I saw that same one the OP posted but with a 3060 listed for $1200 here in the US.

I'm not sure but that does seem like a fact worth knowing. I have a 2020 Omen laptop with a Ryzen 7 4800H, and I really like it, so I can vouch for that, but desktops are a whole different ballgame.

The bad thing with buying prebuilt systems is that you don't have much control over what goes into them. And the quality, like we have seen with brands like Cyberpower is always questionable. There's no in between - prebuilts are usually really good or really bad.

Reactions: Why_Me
I'm not sure but that does seem like a fact worth knowing. The bad thing with buying prebuilt systems is that you don't have much control over what goes into them. And the quality, like we have seen with brands like Cyberpower is always questionable. There's no in between - prebuilts are usually really good or really bad.
I've read that on some of those prebuilts you can't change the board yet you can on some others. If its possible to change the board and psu on that HP I'd be tempted just for the gpu & cpu alone.

g-unit1111

Titan
I've read that on some of those prebuilts you can't change the board yet you can on some others. If its possible to change the board and psu on that HP I'd be tempted just for the gpu & cpu alone.

The question there would be whether or not doing so would violate the warranty. I would think most prebuilt vendors would void it if you changed out critical components like the motherboard and PSU. As tempting as it would be to throw away those PSUs that are included.

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
With the current chip shortage and all the scalping going on I am thinking of buying a prebuilt, instead of building one myself.
With just a rtx 3070 running between $2,200 and $3000 and a Ryzen 9 5900x going for $700 -$1,000usd (on ebay and other sites)...

I can have a killer upgrade from this pc for just the cost of a video card and if I spend an extra $1,100 I can get those components, 32 gigs of corsair dominator ddr4 3200 memory, a MSI MEG X570 ACE Gaming Motherboard, a 1000 watt psu, in a Thermaltake A500 case. I already have the hard drives so I might just get a 500 gig m.2 for the OS drive

Looking at a custom one from ibuypower or originpc, not with proprietary crap like HP, Dell, and other "big names" (that is why I refuse to buy those brands)

"and it has a Ryzen processor which only lives about half as long as an Intel "

AMD CPU's last as long as Intel CPU's. I have AMD CPU's here that still work from 15 years ago.

You might not like Ryzen CPU's but this is not a reason to lie and tell people that they should not buy a Ryzen CPU.

The issue here is unknown branding and model for the parts. Not the CPU or GPU.

Hi,

Is this computer good for its price range? you might have to translate the website from norwegian.
hope you can give me some nice answers.
The thing I worry about in a prebuild is the PSU. They tell you Bronze, Silver, or Gold sometimes, but not the manufacturer and model number, which are the most important details.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Chill, it's been proven that they usually last half as long. I have intels from 30 years ago that work just fine. I'm not saying all AMDs die after a few years, they just simply have shorter lifespans. Since AMD is cheaper, you win some and you lose some.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Since "it's been proven," it ought to be simple to link to a study of AMD vs. Intel longevity that supports the claim that you would surely not assert without relevant data. Otherwise, these messages will be removed from this thread.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Changing stuff depends on the pre-built. You can custom order a HP Omen, choosing all the components from a select list same as a boutique build, or buy a 'stock' pre-built Omen that basically comes with the cheapest parts HP could order under contract.

Chill, it's been proven that they usually last half as long. I have intels from 30 years ago that work just fine. I'm not saying all AMDs die after a few years, they just simply have shorter lifespans. Since AMD is cheaper, you win some and you lose some.
Bunch of ehh. AMD cpus and Intel cpu's have been coming from the same source for years, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC). Same materials, same standards, different fabs/architecture. The Only reasons AMD has recently been cheaper than Intel is that a) Intel could afford to price high, the market could bare the costs, and b) AMD was having too much fun undercutting Intel and hogging the budget market where Intel had no mainstream presence.

That market flipped when Ryzen proved it could hang toe-to-toe with Intel performance. Who'd spend $600 for a 10700k when a $450 5800x would beat it in every catagory, even coming close to doubling performance in a few. At half the power requirements.

Got nothing to do with one cpu being built worse than the other or with lower quality or lower quality materials. If anything, the reverse would be more believable, it'd be a lot harder to get AMD's 7nm process stable on crap silicon vs all the troubles Intel is having getting 10nm to work right if it has higher grade silicon.

Nobody knows the full extent of lifespan on either cpu, cpus are not old enough yet to have seen a full human generation. There are still working Commodore Vic 20's built in 1980 around and they are neither Intel nor Amd based cpus.

Cpu lifespan is measured in 2 things. Software and Abuse. That's it. Abuse it with bad maintenance or OC, you shorten physical lifespan by an indeterminate amount. Use it long enough, software will shorten its usable lifespan, rendering it obsolete.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS