Buying a prebuilt system for mostly older games

Aug 16, 2018
My old gaming desktop is the best part of 10 years old and is dying off bit by bit.

I have a newer laptop, which is good for most stuff, but would still like a desktop set-up in the home for a combination of games and ripping/burning CDs and DVDs...

(although I'm willing to be convinced it would be way better just to dock laptop with mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc if you think that's more sensible?)

... It's not the highest priority to play the newest games at the highest settings for me, or play online multiplayer with perfect FPS.

I'd like to be able to play older games very smoothly, play casually online a bit, and then anything cost effective on top of that, but ideally I'd like to keep cost right down.

What sort of price should I expect to pay for this and where?

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
look it all depends on you, yes you can buy a laptop with a docking station but that is pricey if you want good specs, for a regular pc it all depends on what you play (dunno Starcraft 1 or Warcraft 3 one can be ran on a calculator and other needs a little better computer) if you want to play games lets say 5-6 years old then you need something little better, so lets say like this: games made before 2000 its around 200-300$, games before 2010 about 600-800$, and from 2016 about 1200-2000$. now its not the best time to buy new PC (Priceses are skyhigh for new hardware)
but a used i5 3rd or 4th series with 8-16 gb of ram and a ok gpu Nvidia/AMD with 4gb of vram some harddrive. it would cost about 500-800$ (depends on CPU and GPU).

Aug 16, 2018

Thanks - that's helpful. I probably have the pre2010 piece in mind. Main reason for a new PC is the old one slowly falling apart (GPU is dead) rather than wanting to get fully up to date.

That's interesting re: hardware prices - do you know how come?

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018

cant see the link :) just a heads up if you go to buy gpu, try to buy it with the PC if you go buying the computer as a whole, and if you buy just GPU check 20 times with seller if its been used for mining dont buy those (they are usualy way cheaper then others).