Buying a proper gaming headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hi All,

I'm looking into buying a new gaming headset since my old (Logitech G430) broke a couple of days back when I bumped it off the table. I've checked out a few and I thought I'd get the Sennheiser PC 363D, but then I read some feedback that it has driver issues with Win8 and that the sound card adapter it comes with is not that good.

I'm also thinking of maybe getting a Sennheiser PC 360 or G4ME ONE with a dedicated sound card. I've also checked out the Astro A40/A/50 and the Turtle Beach XPSeven, but I wan't fully convinced as they sound more overall orientated to PC's and consoles.

I will only use this headset for PC. Mainly for gaming, watching videos and listening to music.

I'm willing to dish out some money as this is a long-term investment. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :pt1cable:

Axedavid201

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
What I recommend doing is getting a mid range headset and then get a decent to low end mic, because the crap that comes with gaming headsets really suck hard...I mean for the price of a high end gaming headset you can get an amazing headset and a decent mic and that'll be MUCH MUCH better than using a standard gaming headset.

robax91

Distinguished
Newegg had a great deal on HyperX Cloud headsets (white or black). They were like $60 from $150 normal. I think they can still be around $70 on Newegg and Amazon. For the $100 and under price range you can't get much better, but at the $200 mark you start getting into high quality with trade-offs (like good cans with a mediocre mic) or features like wireless on other headsets.

$60 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826738001&cm_re=hyperx_cloud-_-26-738-001-_-Product
HyperX_Cloud_White_01.jpg

Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I probably should have mentioned that I can't look at stand-alone mics as I'll use this at LAN parties and such. The mic doesn't need to be of the highest quality (as I am aware headset mics are rather mediocre) as long as the people on the same channel can hear clearly when I'm saying.

What is important is:

(In the following order from most important to least important)

Sound quality - Most important
Built Quality
Comfort
Features
Mic Quality

If you guys feel that it isn't worth spending $200+ on a headset and rather settle for a $100 headset, and maybe invest in a better headset once the mics improve because you feel it's not good value for me money, please let me know. I had a Logitech G430 that was suffice for my use, the sound quality wasn't that good, it was just ok, and it fell off a 2ft desk and the ear broke of so Built Quality was also an issue. The mic on that headset seemed suffice though as I'm not doing any recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.