[SOLVED] Buying a second-hand PSU - Antec, be quiet! or XFX?

Krzeszny

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Hello. You can try to talk me off of buying a second-hand PSU (or more like ask me to wait for a better deal) but they cost like 30-40 bucks and they're not necessarily old.

My first choice is between:
  1. be quiet! Straight Power E8 CM-580 Silver (modular 580W=non-modular 550W)
  2. Antec HPC-850 Gold (modular 850W) - it used to be one of the most expensive PSUs years ago so it must be high-quality, and the fan is slow
And that's about it from ones that aren't that old.
I have a SilentiumPC Supremo M2 Gold but I have a very quiet home and PC, so the PSU annoys me when I browse the web.

Is there any reason I should pick the Antec (or an XFX) over the be quiet! or wait for something better? My PC requires 500-550W at max and I don't need to upgrade it.

Secondary choices - even older:
Antec TruePower New TP-650 135mm
XFX Core/TS 650W
XFX Core/TS 550W

Last edited:
Solution
Antec, I think.

Antec HPC is tier 1 on this list, the straight power is tier 3:

A gold rated psu will be more efficient.
850w will be loafing so you should not expect the fan to run at all.
Antec sounds like a better choice, higher wattage ceiling for future upgrades, high-quality build, and is reported as incredibly quiet. So all tick marks checked.

I have a 7 year old PSU still running 24/7 in my server so I know PSU's can last a while. So if you can get that Antec at a cheap price I say go for it.

Reactions: Krzeszny
Antec, I think.

Antec HPC is tier 1 on this list, the straight power is tier 3:

A gold rated psu will be more efficient.
850w will be loafing so you should not expect the fan to run at all.

Reactions: Krzeszny
Solution

Krzeszny

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Alright, thanks. That tier list is awesome, I wish I had known about it before spending hours researching PSUs from non-blacklisted manufacturers.

I have to wait until Friday so the seller can test the Antec. In the meanwhile, I'm considering paying a bit more than the 30 bucks (I wasn't planning on doing it but I could.)
I've found two other Tier 1 second-hand PSUs that cost more but they are amazing:

40 bucks, Tier 1:
be quiet! P11-550W Dark Power Pro 11 - WITHOUT CABLES - a much newer model than the rest

50 bucks, Tier 1:
Enermax Platimax 600W

Pros:,platinum-specced, ultra-quiet with amazing fans
Cons: more expensive, lower wattage

Whaddya think?

Last edited:
Alright, thanks. That tier list is awesome, I wish I had known about it before spending hours researching PSUs from non-blacklisted manufacturers.

I have to wait until Friday so the seller can test the Antec. In the meanwhile, I'm considering paying a bit more than the 30 bucks (I wasn't planning on doing it but I could.)
I've found two other Tier 1 second-hand PSUs that cost more but they are amazing:

40 bucks, Tier 1:
be quiet! P11-550W Dark Power Pro 11 - WITHOUT CABLES - a much newer model than the rest

50 bucks, Tier 1:
Enermax Platimax 600W

Pros:,platinum-specced, ultra-quiet with amazing fans
Cons: more expensive, lower wattage

Whaddya think?

Add these 2 to the one already given to you.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

I would ensure you get some sort of guarantee with used PSUs. Sometimes they may not work properly or have missing modular cables.

PSUs can last a very long time, or sometimes they don't. I have a sketchy Dell 250w from 2004 that has been under stress of a Pentium 4 for a lifetime. It still works and isn't loud. I have 2 identical Hipro 300w from over a decade ago that still work fine.
However, I have had a 600w EVGA BRONZE that smoked and sparked after being turned off for a while before being turned back on. It was powering an FX6300 and 960 and was only 4 years old.

BeQuiet makes good models, however, the straight power units are entry-level and certainly not what I would pick out of your options.
XFX had good models and the TS gold models are pretty good, however still not the best in the list.
I would avoid Enermax altogether given other options.
The BeQuiet Dark Power 11 is a very good PSU, but given its missing cables and only 550, it isn't my pick.

My winner:

Antec HPC-850 Gold

Efficient, strong build quality, modular, and tons of watts for upgrading in the future.