[SOLVED] Buying a Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero to replace a VS650w orange label, confused by contradicting informations

Cozzolino

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
My build for reference:

Mobo: AsRock G41c-GS R2 [link]
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9400 [link]
RAM: Crucial (2x4gb) DDR3L-1600 UDIMM CT51264BD160B [link]
Fried GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire R7 265 2GB
New GPU: AMD Radeon XFX R9 270 2GB
PSU: Corsair VS Series 650W [link]

I've opened a thread a few days ago about a fried GPU to identify the culprit. After thorough digging through the internet, I've come to the conclusion that I should replace my PSU, which is the dreaded Corsair VS650w orange label. After some research I've come up with what I think is the best bang for my buck: a Sharkoon WPM Gold Zero 550w. I've made this decision not only based on a (admittedly somewhat unrelevant) Tier List, but also after reading a sober review of said unit (unfortunately, this is an italian review but it was a complete test AFAICT and the data is stil there under "Prove Tecniche" pages for those who can read it). To my limited knowledge on PSU, accrued in the last week, it looks like a promising and quality unit for a mid range system.

I happily bought the unit and I'm receiving it on this saturday 23 May.

Except a few minutes ago I casually stumbled upon the stickied thread in this sub-forum: PSU - What to buy and what to avoid, which features Sharkoon label in the walk of shame. At this point I'm completely confused by the contradicting informations I found. Who or what do I trust? What do you know about this unit and this label and its reliability?

Thanks for reading.

Solution
Maintainer of somewhat unrelevant tier list here. This PSUs is based on CWT GPS platform, with somewhat lower-end capacitors selection tho. Platform itself is good but because of capacitors this is strictly budget PSU, it's good if it has appropriate price. You can compare it to Enermax Revolution X'T II, Chieftec Core BBS, Deepcool DQ-ST, same platform and similiar capacitors selection.
On that thread by Darkbreeze, to put it simply, he seems to be too fixed on the brands, not everyone can buy Seasonic PSUs and there are a lot decent to very good PSUs from relatively unknown brands or ones that usually regarded as trash based on other PSUs they have. Neither it's as simple even with Seasonic or Super Flower, they have their lemons too...

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Maintainer of somewhat unrelevant tier list here. This PSUs is based on CWT GPS platform, with somewhat lower-end capacitors selection tho. Platform itself is good but because of capacitors this is strictly budget PSU, it's good if it has appropriate price. You can compare it to Enermax Revolution X'T II, Chieftec Core BBS, Deepcool DQ-ST, same platform and similiar capacitors selection.
On that thread by Darkbreeze, to put it simply, he seems to be too fixed on the brands, not everyone can buy Seasonic PSUs and there are a lot decent to very good PSUs from relatively unknown brands or ones that usually regarded as trash based on other PSUs they have. Neither it's as simple even with Seasonic or Super Flower, they have their lemons too. Don't buy a PSU based only on it's brand, performance and actual quality of PSUs is the only thing that matters when you're buying a piece of hardware your entire PC depends on.

Solution

Cozzolino

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

Please forgive my poor choice of word regarding your tier list. What I really meant is that a PSU tier list is merely a general indication of the quality of a PSU based on hard metrics, but picking a PSU should be based on the system it is going to power and the use you're going to make of it aswell. What I mean with "somewhat unrelevant" is pointing out that, and you will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure, I can't possibly pick a PSU based on a tier list alone. Once again, I'm sorry if you felt offended, english is not my first language and I hope you can forgive my lack of nuance.

Back to the topic, reading the results of the tests I felt pretty confident with this choice based on the fact that my system could peak at around 430W consumption (tested on this calculator) and I'm a.. uh.. "medium" gamer, as in more than light and less than heavy. I was stalking on Amazon basically all units between B and B+ tier of your list, looking for a sale, and I got this one for 66€. With this in mind, can you recommend using this unit?

Cozzolino

Prominent
Jun 28, 2019
Thanks for your advice

By the way, your tier list is what prompted me to replace the PSU after frying the Gpu. Seeing my VS 650w there was a real shocker and after reading the reviews and finding the tests online I was in anguish. So thanks again for that I guess.

Reactions: Juular