Buying a Used Card

mrsmile

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014
Is buying used graphics card a decent idea when it comes to getting a card that would last a decent amount of time in the interest of saving money? and what about quality?

I would think it's okay because most of the sellers are getting rid of a card in order to get a better one, trying to keep up with the latest card in order to play the latest games.

Also how do I go about in applying for a replacement through warranty in the event that the card fails

Solution
When buying a used card make sure to have a warranty even in a week or 2. During this time, stress your card for about 6 hours and if this card doesn`t fail then you are good to go. If it fails then you can return it because it is within the warranty period. :)
I've had several graphics cards that were used from eBay and I've had zero problems. However, these days, AMD cards are a tricky situation since they're favored for digital currency mining and those cards are run 24/7 without care for longevity.

Regardless, I still advocate for used cards depending on where you buy them from.

Dazinek

Honorable
Sep 9, 2014
Personally, it all depends on the price for me... If anything above 300, I like to have something I know I can trust a bit more.

Ignoring my opinion, As long as its a reputable seller, I don't see a problem. Just make sure its actually worth it.. Don't buy a used R9 270x for 170 bucks when you can get a brand new one for 200. The extra 30-40 bucks is worth it :p

mrsmile

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2014

I've seen many of these sellers having so many of the exact same graphics card to sell. i'm wondering how did they get so many used cards that most of them are identical (used duration, quality, etc)

iamlegend

Admirable
When buying a used card make sure to have a warranty even in a week or 2. During this time, stress your card for about 6 hours and if this card doesn`t fail then you are good to go. If it fails then you can return it because it is within the warranty period. :)

Solution