Question Buying a used CPU?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Is there any reason I wouldnt want to buy a used CPU? I dont think warranty is really that important for the cpu. As sketchy as ebay is, they have pretty good customer protection. What's the difference between box and tray? Tray seems cheaper for what I would assume is the same thing? Definitely not buying an engineering sample.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Box is the retail with the fancy box and user manual paperwork.
Tray is just the bare CPU. If I'm building 1,000 systems, I don't need 1,000 copies of the user manual.

Warranty? Well...YOU know the answer to that.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Box is the retail with the fancy box and user manual paperwork.
Tray is just the bare CPU. If I'm building 1,000 systems, I don't need 1,000 copies of the user manual.

Warranty? Well...YOU know the answer to that.
So theres 100% no difference between box and tray other than having a box and user manual?

No difference in the cpu either way.

However, if someone is selling a cpu in a box or tray and it looks new, it could be a fake. I always look for signs of real use and generally buy cpus that I know have been pulled out of a working machine.

You can get great deals and I buy used CPUs all the time.

They are a good way to save some money and usually it works out well. CPUs are more robust than like a graphics card and fail much less commonly from my experience.

Few things that can be a downside:
No warranty, just 30 day money back guarantee which won't cover you if an item dies a few months from when you buy it. CPUs don't fail commonly, but its still something to consider.
For PGA CPUs, bent pins. Just last week I bought a used R5 2600 and it came with a lot of bent pins on almost every corner. I was able to straighten them out and the CPU worked perfectly after, but if not, eBay would have had my back. It still is an inconvenience.
This is mostly an issue with unlocked CPUs, but if a CPU was abused in past, it could be degraded, or may not OC anymore. Sometimes this can even cause stability issues at stock operation, but that should be immediately apparent and covered by eBay 30 day.
Oh also, you don't always get a cooler if the CPU would have had one new.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
No difference in the cpu either way.

However, if someone is selling a cpu in a box or tray and it looks new, it could be a fake. I always look for signs of real use and generally buy cpus that I know have been pulled out of a working machine.
How do you spot a fake CPU? I would assume it wouldnt even post?

Box will come with a cooler if the processor normally comes with one.
Tray is the chip only.

Ebay is fine for processors if the seller has good feedback.

Some overclockable chips are bought to be binned.
The best overclockers are kept to be sold for a premium and the lesser ones are sold. Not a big deal unless you are hoping to score a golden chip for overclocking.

Ebay has good buyer protection.
Be prepared to test your purchase promptly within the return window.

Pay only with paypal.
Communicate with the seller only via ebay email, and keep a copy for yourself.

Read the description very carefully.
For example:
The photo might show a box for a i9-9900K, but the description says box only. If you buy you have been scammed with no recourse since the listing was accurate.

If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i9-7980XE-Extreme-Edition-Processor-i9-7920X-i7-7820X-i7-7800X-CPU/174513388333?var=473730872356

Can you guys check this out and tell me what you think about it? The 1 year warranty sounds bogus but I didnt expect to have one at all. A 7900x is only $320, too good to be true?
"1 YEAR WTY, VOID IF ERASED"

I'm curious...how the seller expects one to do an initial cleaning with isopropyl, without "erasing" that bit of blue print?

How do you spot a fake CPU? I would assume it wouldnt even post?
It is actually quite difficult unless you know what to expect. I ended up with a pair of fake x5460 cpus that were supposed to be legit upgrades--they didn't run as fast as I though they would and they seemed laggy. A few years later, I found an old Intel cpu validation program and ran it and sure enough--they are fakes! Grr!!!

Most of the fakes are from overseas and distributed and sold in larger port cities/areas (Miami, Los Angeles, etc). They can also be found in larger distribution cities in places like Texas, Chicago, etc. If it's a part that is owned by a single owner that's upgrading, the chances are slim that its fake, but it may not be a properly working cpu (different issue that's covered by ebay if it was advertised as properly working). The larger companies are who typically buy these to make some quick bucks, sporting a nice warranty/return policy in case you catch it, but generally have no problem peddling fakes to make a buck. In these tough times where the upgrade cycle paused for a bit, even some of the used equipment companies bought the fakes to make some quick money since their clientele typically expect genuine products and won't check for fakes.

Fakes are typically inferior in quality, and are the direct product of US technology theft. These thieves needs to be stopped. They hurt every single person that has an idea to make the world a better place, and hence hurt the whole world since the people with these ideas won't develop them without some reward for the effort. If someone is going to steal your reward and your idea, why even bother?

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
Like damage being something that a real pcb wouldn't have on it--Fake

It pisses me off to no end that ebay keep listing this obvious fake stuff. Why this 3rd world 'bazaar deal' crap is even allowed to be imported is ridiculous.
How do you know it's fake?

If I do buy one, the first thing I would do is email intel and get them to check the serial number and batch number, then if it were fake, I could just tell ebay and they would force them to do a return at no cost to me. And if Ebay doesnt help, then I can dispute the charge, get a refund, and keep the fake cpu.

I think they're cheap because they dont sell. Nobody would pay full price for those used 7th gen cpus when the 10th gens are way cheaper than the 7th gens ever were.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013

If I do buy one, the first thing I would do is email intel and get them to check the serial number and batch number, then if it were fake, I could just tell ebay and they would force them to do a return at no cost to me. And if Ebay doesnt help, then I can dispute the charge, get a refund, and keep the fake cpu.
Tying up your time and money, for a probable known fake/scam.

So far as I know, intel processors do not have serial numbers.
They do have batch numbers printed on the die, but that could also be a faked legitimate number.
CPU-Z will tell you what the cache sizes are, stepping, and other info which would be hard to fake.

sodium.in.toilet

Commendable
Nov 21, 2018
So far as I know, intel processors do not have serial numbers.
They do have batch numbers printed on the die, but that could also be a faked legitimate number.
CPU-Z will tell you what the cache sizes are, stepping, and other info which would be hard to fake.
They have serial numbers printed on the pcb. Just the last 4 digits, but right beside that there is a tiny bar code, if you scan the code then you get the full serial number. You might need a special zoom thing for your phone camera to read it but I was able to take a picture of it then crop it so the app could read it. Intel has instructions on how to do all of this.

I think they're cheap because they dont sell. Nobody would pay full price for those used 7th gen cpus when the 10th gens are way cheaper than the 7th gens ever were.
Experience in spotting them. The serial number and batch number can be valid as most fakes are made with real numbers. You'll only find out the fake status if you have a warranty issue--then Intel will let you know and keep your fake for investigation. By then ebay will tell you it's too late.

Even new 'old stock' sells for closer to the used price than the msrp, and this is the hook by which these fakers get their way in. There can't be that many 'new old stock' processors out there so that ebay has an endless supply of them. One of the inconsistencies that point to fakes.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS