Buying a used gaming PC.

Khalid_9

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
Hi guys!

I'm currently in the market to buy a used gaming pc and was wondering if this pc is worth the price?

PC Specs:

Intel i7 4790K
Gigabyte Nvidia Gtx 960 PCI-E
16 GB ram (Still don't know whether DDR3, 4 or 5)
1 TB HD 3.5 Caviar Blue
Samsung 250 GB SSD
Corsair Hydro Series H60 120mm
Has 6 fans in total
Corsair CX 600 WAT Bronze PSU
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Mid Tower
Installed windows 10
And the motherboard I am yet to find out what make and model it is.

I'll be going to check out the PC myself in order to know the make of the MB and Rams.
I'll be using CPU-Z to identify the components. The requested price for it is 500 English pounds and Razer Abyssus mouse and Razer black Widow keyboard.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Solution

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
What kind of condition is everything in?
What are the exact models of some other parts, such as SSD, is it the 750 or 850, evo or pro, believe it or not the 750 evo is about $50 less valuable than an 850 Pro.
Same with the GPU, better value if you know what exactly it is.

Khalid_9

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

I can't tell yet, but let's say 750. And from the pictures i've seen, I think the MB's Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 Socket 1150 HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Everything's in good condition. It's a 3 month old PC.

joex444

Distinguished
The CPU alone is going for about 300GBP new. A GTX 960 is about 170GBP. The HDD is about 45GBP. The SSD is about 70GBP. The PSU is about 55GBP. The cooler is about 70GBP. The case is about 75GBP. A cheap Z97 board is about 75GBP - could be more. RAM is highly variable, but entry level 1600MHz DDR3 as a 2x8GB kit is about 90GBP. And a Windows license is about 100GBP.

Overall, this is about 960GBP worth of stuff for 500GBP so it's about 50% off. See if you can talk them down any anyways, but at 500GBP it's not a bad deal at all. Buying new parts will give you a noticeably slower system for a 500GBP budget. Do note the GTX 960 is the weak point here and is your only real leverage. The GTX 960 can handle 1080p 60Hz provided you don't want maximum settings.

I'm not sure what the additional keyboard/mouse talk is about, I assume they're adding that in for the 500GBP? You're always free to say you have a keyboard + mouse and they're not really interesting to you as a way to lower the price (but, obviously, forego the Razer products... which I would advise anyways).

Khalid_9

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

Well.. He wanted 550 and I said 500. But, I really couldn't care less about the Razer stuff. He's just adding them as an extra. I'll go and see it for myself and since the GFX is that bad, i should try lowering to 450?

Khalid_9

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

Yeah, i'll probably try to get it down to the 400s range when I see it for myself since the GFX and Rams are poor. I'm assuming the rams are DDR3.

Khalid_9

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

What better alternative can I build? The processor itself is gonna be half the budget :D

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
The only thing really good in that system is the CPU depending on what you like to play you're almost definitely going to want to upgrade that GPU. And like I said you can build almost a better system, with a better GPU, for about 700 pounds. You can get all better stuff but its going to be more like 900 pounds.

So depending on your budget its okay, but that GPU is nothing special. more than half of that cost is the CPU, since it is a very good CPU.

Khalid_9

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

I see what you mean.
I was also looking at this one since we're at it,
CPU: i5 4690k (Unlocked, never overclocked)
GPU: Sapphire R9 290 4GB Tri-X (Never overclocked)
RAM 2x 4GB = 8GB Dual Channel
Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 3 (Gaming motherboard with FAST LAN for gaming)
SSD: 240gb Sandisk 520Mb/ps
HDD: 1TB
PSU: Corsair CX750M Semi-Modular 80+ Gold Standard

It's also around the same price range. I'm guessing this is a tad better, assuming the purpose of the pc is for purely gaming.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

Well to be honest you don't really NEED that much power in your CPU for gaming, again depending on what you do.
You can buy an i3 6100 which would suffice for most things, although not as powerful it should get the job done gaming at 1080p.

Secondly that GPU has to go, it just isn't that good. You'll want at least a 1060 3GB unless you just want to run everything on low settings less than FHD.

Those two paired together at about $300 US, run GTA V fairly well, and that is a notoriously CPU and GPU intensive game.

But again its up to you, depending on what you do.
It's not a bad rig, but I wouldn't use that GPU, and you may have to upgrade the RAM.

So maybe 400 pounds plus whatever a good GPU would be and maybe some better RAM, and you'd be good.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

Yeah thats a much better GPU and the CPU is not much slower than the other one, and if you can get it for the same price I think that one would be more worth it, only thing on that I would really upgrade is the storage, and get a Samsung 850 evo, everything else is pretty solid for gaming at 1080p.

Solution

Khalid_9

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

Thank you for your help!

Problem is you have a VERY SMALL SSD to store stuff on, Windows plus Office full installed takes up 80GB, that is 1/3 of the drive just to type letters. SO you will have to consider adding a TB HDD to have room for gaming. Depending on how it plays the games (does it over heat? do you see issues? etc.) it is fine for 500Pounds, but your taking ALL THE RISK.

If something breaks your out of luck, you dont' know how to build your own you will be in alot of trouble and so on. No warranty if something goes wrong. If you are cool with parts and can build your own, still sounds okay to me then; otherwise I save up the rest and buy outright one under warranty and "NEW" since your half way there for the cost.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable

That build has a 1TB WD Blue.
As I suggested to him also to get a Samsung 850 evo in the other system he suggested, and I believe is getting, which has a very low fail rate.

And no one said anything about installing Office. Besides if he wants office and has the $150 plus to buy it, he can afford another SSD to put it on.

Plus custom builds are extremely easy to troubleshoot. I inherited a broken custom build from my friend and installed a new hard drive and OS, and completely replaced every part by myself, literally anyone can learn how to fix a computer, it's not even remotely hard, just watch one youtube video and you can basically build a system from the ground up.

HardyMcHardFace

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
Setting the location of user folders such as Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos to the conventional HD can save a lot on SSD space, leave only the speed critical files on the SSD. In brief: Use Properties/Location to change the system folder location.

To be more specific: Open File Explorer, find the user folder that you want to change, right click, select Properties, in the Folder Properties window, click the Location tab, click Move, browse to the new drive/location you want to use for this folder, click Select Folder, click OK, you will have to confirm that you want to move all files from the old location to the new location, click Yes and wait for the files to be moved to the new location.