[SOLVED] buying a used gpu for the first time

Solution
I purchased a used gtx 1080ti and I got it for a great price. Even if the graphics card doesn't have a return policy, don't let that deter you. People often have "No Returns Accepted" not because it is a defective card, but they are trying to get rid of the card because they are upgrading. eBay actually has a money back guarantee so even if returns aren't accepted and there is a problem, you'll get your money back.
Just make sure that:
  1. You purchase from a reputable seller.
  2. Check the clocks/frequency and compare it against stock specs.
  3. Do the same for the bios revision.
  4. Check the graphics card's TDP and make sure that it peaks to that amount. For example I think my 1080ti's max output was 250w and it was getting close...
I buy lots of used electronics from EBay and almost everything I have bought has worked....and worked for a long time.

I don't see many drawbacks with buying used....but make sure they have a return policy and make sure you have enough time to test the card within their return policy.

casual_gamer47

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
I buy lots of used electronics from EBay and almost everything I have bought has worked....and worked for a long time.

I don't see many drawbacks with buying used....but make sure they have a return policy and make sure you have enough time to test the card within their return policy.

I am buying this card locally so I am not sure if he will refund if anything goes wrong

casual_gamer47

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
My concern here is if the card has been abused for mining. There is no way to check for this and an ex mining card could be near end of life.
It is not that he is selling multiple units of the same gpu at the moment so can I assume this particular gpu was not used for mining?....although along with rx 480,he's selling rx 480(8 gigs) and rx 580 (8 gigs)

I purchased a used gtx 1080ti and I got it for a great price. Even if the graphics card doesn't have a return policy, don't let that deter you. People often have "No Returns Accepted" not because it is a defective card, but they are trying to get rid of the card because they are upgrading. eBay actually has a money back guarantee so even if returns aren't accepted and there is a problem, you'll get your money back.
Just make sure that:
  4. Check the graphics card's TDP and make sure that it peaks to that amount. For example I think my 1080ti's max output was 250w and it was getting close to that at times while gaming.

Solution
Either the card was used for mining or it wasn't. There isn't as much of a risk as you might think. Miniers actually take better care of their cards, ensuring they don't over heat. While most gamers (with the execption of enthusiasts like myself) will just install the card and not even monitor anything. Infact they often times alter the card to run more efficiently at a lower temperature and there are many videos on the web and Youube demonstrating how miners use and sell the cards so quickly that the average lifespan of the card has been barely used.

Reactions: ElectrO_90

casual_gamer47

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
Just make sure that:
  4. Check the graphics card's TDP and make sure that it peaks to that amount. For example I think my 1080ti's max output was 250w and it was getting close to that at times while gaming.
the thing is that I am buying this gpu locally and currently I don't have the required rig to test it but then here at this price a second hand gtx 1050 ti/gtx 950/gtx 960 can be bought atmost so this deal is kinda tempting for me (specially the amount of vram I am getting)

casual_gamer47

Prominent
Apr 12, 2018
Either the card was used for mining or it wasn't. There isn't as much of a risk as you might think. Miniers actually take better care of their cards, ensuring they don't over heat. While most gamers (with the execption of enthusiasts like myself) will just install the card and not even monitor anything. Infact they often times alter the card to run more efficiently at a lower temperature and there are many videos on the web and Youube demonstrating how miners use and sell the cards so quickly that the average lifespan of the card has been barely used.
and thanks for clearing my misconception regarding miners and their cards