[SOLVED] Buying a used PC.

HankMarducas

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
Looking at buying a used PC and the guy sent me a photo of the PC part picker list he followed and said the only thing he changed is the motherboard to the Asus TUF gaming x570 plus (Wifi). What would this be worth? Anything I should look for?

Hoping to save some money and get a solid setup.

Edit: He is asking $1400. Is it worth that or should I offer less?

Thanks for the advice

PIC of list

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you. What would you suggest for a PSU and so I can learn what makes the one in it not optimal? It does come with a copy of windows

It's not a terrible PSU by any stretch, it's just a budget-oriented one, which means the voltage regulation isn't that tight and in this one, you get Teapo capacitors (which are fine, but they're second-tier). If this were an $800 build, the BQ would be just fine, but I'd personally be more ambitious for a $2000 build. You don't need some crazy $300 Titanium PSU, but a SeaSonic Focus/Plus, Corsair RM/RMx, EVGA G2/G3/GS/P2/T2, BitFenix Formula, etc. of at least 650W would be appropriate for a build like this.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
$1400 is not unreasonable for this PC used. It's somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of what a new right would cost (the former if it includes a legit copy of Windows). That's about a typical discount for a well-configured used PC, though I'd try and see if he's willing to knock $100 off so you can get a better quality PSU.

HankMarducas

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2012
$1400 is not unreasonable for this PC used. It's somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of what a new right would cost (the former if it includes a legit copy of Windows). That's about a typical discount for a well-configured used PC, though I'd try and see if he's willing to knock $100 off so you can get a better quality PSU.

Thank you. What would you suggest for a PSU and so I can learn what makes the one in it not optimal? It does come with a copy of windows

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It's not a terrible PSU by any stretch, it's just a budget-oriented one, which means the voltage regulation isn't that tight and in this one, you get Teapo capacitors (which are fine, but they're second-tier). If this were an $800 build, the BQ would be just fine, but I'd personally be more ambitious for a $2000 build. You don't need some crazy $300 Titanium PSU, but a SeaSonic Focus/Plus, Corsair RM/RMx, EVGA G2/G3/GS/P2/T2, BitFenix Formula, etc. of at least 650W would be appropriate for a build like this.

Solution

moegerbyte

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016

I agree, the PSU is a little shitty, if not terrible for the price. (Depending on your ambitions the hard wiring can be a pain in the a** if you want a very neat and clean interior layout. Especially since the H500 is practically see-through)

Go for a RM 750x or similar. It's price is reasonable. You will have no issues with cables and power fluctuation.

I personally have a RM560 and am very happy.