[SOLVED] Buying a used power supply for a fairly low end build, thoughts?

Dec 19, 2022
Is it okay? I currently use a 250w power supply that came bundled with the case and I'd like to replace it with one that's bigger (at least 400w). I found some stores online that sell used power supplies for cheap (around 20 dollars in my currency). Many are 80 plus certified, some just white, some bronze, ones that are 30 dollars or more are even gold are made by reputable brands like Seasonic or FSP. I know 80 plus certifications don't really mean much when it comes to their quality (I've seen GN's videos about it) but just about anything is better than what my machine currently has (it even keeps spinning when I put the computer to sleep)

If I were to buy new, my options are limited. I either get ones from random brands like Aerocool (a brand that gets memed around here due to their 'fireworks' producing quality) or have to pay more to get really good ones. I'm aware that power supply is something that you should not cheap out on, but when money is tight, then money is tight.

My specs are:
i5-4590,
2x8GB DDR3,
1 x Sata SSD,
1 x 2.5" Sata HDD (5400RPM iirc),
and 2 case fans.

I only plan to buy GPUs that are under 150 watts, possibly even lower if I could get my hands on one that has good performance/watt.

TIA

Solution
Buying a used power supply for a fairly low end build, thoughts?

Very bad idea. Since with used PSU, you don't know what kind of abuse those have seen and if they even work within ATX PSU specs, without damaging your hardware. That, and you won't get any warranty with used PSU.

I only plan to buy GPUs that are under 150 watts

In this case, 550W good quality PSU is more than enough. Brand new btw.

Seasonic is reputable OEM, namely their Core, Focus and PRIME series. FSP, not so much.

but when money is tight, then money is tight.

When money is tight then you don't buy used PSU. Instead, you keep using what you have, until you have money to buy better PSU.

Btw, how come money isn't tight when it comes to the...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Buying a used power supply for a fairly low end build, thoughts?

Very bad idea. Since with used PSU, you don't know what kind of abuse those have seen and if they even work within ATX PSU specs, without damaging your hardware. That, and you won't get any warranty with used PSU.

I only plan to buy GPUs that are under 150 watts

In this case, 550W good quality PSU is more than enough. Brand new btw.

Seasonic is reputable OEM, namely their Core, Focus and PRIME series. FSP, not so much.

but when money is tight, then money is tight.

When money is tight then you don't buy used PSU. Instead, you keep using what you have, until you have money to buy better PSU.

Btw, how come money isn't tight when it comes to the GPU you want to buy? :unsure:

Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Because I convinced myself that I can somehow compromise on PSU but not GPU.

Many people do that and often learn the hard way, why not to cheap out on a PSU. Namely, when the cheap PSU goes "pop" and takes everything it is connected to, with it. Then, does the initial money saved really is worth it, when you have to buy completely new PC?

Back in the day (2016), when i bought 1st parts of my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i had a choice:
  • Buy GTX 1060 6GB and cheaper, but still good Seasonic M12II-620 EVO (80+ Bronze) PSU.
  • Or GTX 1060 3GB and much better, Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium) PSU.
You can guess which option i picked.

Reactions: GUMSHi