[SOLVED] Buying a used PSU

k3nn00

Commendable
May 17, 2021
So in the other thread a member told me that my PSU is low quality and I should upgrade soon I have a Xilence 430w and was thinking of buying a used corsair RM750X is it a good idea.

Solution
Used PSUs are never that good an idea, how do you know where they have come from? How have they used it? Does warranty carry over to the new owner? Personally, used PSUs are a no go for me.

Having said that, the RMx is a mighty fine PSU so assuming they haven't been using it for the last 10 years or using it as a volleyball then it should theoretically be fine.

But looking at your previous post, what specific Xilence model is it? You didn't specify, they have some decent ones. Also you're probably better off putting the money into a new but lower end PSU like a Corsair CX where you can guarantee keep all the warranty too.
Personally I wouldn’t. A key feature of a high quality psu is a long warranty that covers your system should the psu fail and cause damage. These warranties as far as I know are not transferable. Also a psu is an investment in the safety of your pc, you probably don’t know how the psu has been treated. Has it been left on 24/7 under high load for mining or did the user over stress it, drop it or anything that may have damaged or shorterned its life.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Used PSUs are never that good an idea, how do you know where they have come from? How have they used it? Does warranty carry over to the new owner? Personally, used PSUs are a no go for me.

Having said that, the RMx is a mighty fine PSU so assuming they haven't been using it for the last 10 years or using it as a volleyball then it should theoretically be fine.

But looking at your previous post, what specific Xilence model is it? You didn't specify, they have some decent ones. Also you're probably better off putting the money into a new but lower end PSU like a Corsair CX where you can guarantee keep all the warranty too.

Solution

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020

These are all good points, especially if it is from someone who is not well-versed in PSUs.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
RE: Used PSU - I tend to agree about buying new, but there are scenarios that might be ok. If it's a friend (someone you trust) and he's upgrading to a larger PSU, or quieter PSU, or RGB (Not just replacing for no real reason...)?

Other issues around used PSUs, the person might have been a smoker or lived with smokers, the PSU may not have had adequate ventilation) partially cooked.

Indeed, buying "used PSUs" is taking like a gamble. If you do use it, you're basically going to rely on the remaining lifespan of the PSU and the state of quality it is in to keep your components running. There is no way to tell where that PSU is along the spectrum of being alive to suddenly dying.

This is where "cheap becomes expensive". Expensive when it fails and can take away all of your components with it (worst case scenario).