buying a used r9 290 ?

hrissker

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hello, I was thinking about buying a used r9 290 tri-x sapphire, now the seller says its like brand new, and its also under the original manufactures warranty, should I buy it or get a new one ?

core i5 2400
8 gigs ripjaws ram
750 watt corsair cx modular 80+
z75 motherboard
500 gb wd hdd

how is my system ? if you would parlay that question lads !

Solution
It depends if there is a burnt chip on the gpu, that will void it. Though if the fan died, you can just say it suddenly died and don't tell them you use it for mining or oc'd it. xD That's what my friend did.

karlsanada13

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Well, I bought my 280X 2nd hand too, and it has warranty since it's bought 2 months before I bought it. Get the receipt and tell the seller to have 1-2 weeks personal warranty and guaranteed money back.

Ask them if they use it for mining, if so, don't buy it, just buy a new card. Mining cards tend to fail after few months especially if abused.

hrissker

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Well I just put my max bid on one that is 310 $ and I messaged a seller who has his listed for 340 $ and only used for two weeks, I said I would buy it for 320 $ hmm, what do you think. I asked if he had ever OC'D it or used it for cryptocurrency mining aswell, would it come with a warranty ? I cant see how the warranties aren't available on some used gpu's and some are.

karlsanada13

Honorable
May 22, 2013
It depends if there is a burnt chip on the gpu, that will void it. Though if the fan died, you can just say it suddenly died and don't tell them you use it for mining or oc'd it. xD That's what my friend did.

Solution