Buying a wifi repeater to link it by cable

JSantos

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
I just had a technician came by to my house to solve my extremely slow ethernet connection during the night hours.

It appears the problem is my powerline, which slows down at night because everyone in my building (I live in an apartment) is coming home at that hour thus "crashing" the connection between modem and powerline. It seems like some kind of electric overload from the powerline to the modem, something like that.

He sugested I bought a wifi repeater, install it near my computer and have it connected by cable. I have 100MB ethernet, and he told me my wifi repeater would pick the ethernet wireless (receiving the limited wireless signal of 40MB) and by having it connected to cable to my computer, there the wifi repeater would convert the 40MB signal to the full extent of the ethernet which is 80MB.

I just find it weird having a wireless connection of 40MB from the modem to the wifi repeater, then having the wifi repeater transmit it to the computer by cable at 80MB. Is this really possible?, if so can anyone link me to some cheap wifi repeaters on an european store.

Much appreciated.

Solution
Your speed will be limited by the weakest link, in your case - the WiFi (whether between router and extender, or router and PC - it's same bs). If you have other wired devices around your PC, connect all of them by a switch, and connect the switch to the extender.
Your speed will be limited by the weakest link, in your case - the WiFi (whether between router and extender, or router and PC - it's same bs). If you have other wired devices around your PC, connect all of them by a switch, and connect the switch to the extender.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS