Buying Advice: Board and CPU upgrade

Nanako

Honorable
May 7, 2017
A while ago i made a thread here describing my overheating issues.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3683339/vrm-overheating-gigabyte-990fxa-ud3.html

Reading that is not required
I've been unable to make headway with most of the solutions listed there, and am now in a position to make some new purchases, so i'm considering the most extreme solution there, which is to entirely ditch the AM3+ platform and upgrade.

But beyond this is no man's land. I'm entering unfamiliar territory, and thusly, i've come here for help. I have a total budget of £500 for this, which should hopefully be enough for something to meet my needs.

I need a new motherboard, and a new CPU to go with it. But details on exactly what i need from them:

1. The motherboard
Given my troubles with overheating issues in the past, i'd like to avoid it happening again, and thusly i'd like to get a board with good VRM heatsinks. I will be using a closed loop liquid cooler, so there's not a lot of air blowing on the cpu area.

I would also like to use this PC for VR gaming eventually (though not immediately). And that brings its own requirements. Most notably, i need a motherboard that has lots of USB 3.0 slots. At least four, maybe 6

Again with the VR, system requirements are high for that. I'm not expecting to get things that meet the recommended requirements for an oculus rift right now, but I at least need to have the potential. The OR recommends either Intel i5-4590 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X. And so i'd like to get a board which has the right socket type to fit one of those two processors

Lastly, I currently have 16 GB of DDR3 Ram installed, and if possible i would like to keep and reuse this. So i'd like to get a board that doesn't immediately require upgrading the ram too.

2. As for the CPU, best i can get for whatever's left over in the budget. Ideally i'd like to at least match the performance of my current FX-9370, but a slight downgrade would probably be acceptable for the sake of stability

I'm quite open to settling for a barely adequate CPU for now, and spending more to upgrade to something powerful later on. What's most important is getting a motherboard that won't cause me any problems with future upgrades

All input is appreciated

Nanako

Honorable
May 7, 2017
Welp, no replies yet, looks like I have to do some more work on my own

Since i'm currently using an AMD processor, it seems safest to stick with what I know, so i went looking at ryzen compatible motherboards, and found this article
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3175005/computers/amd-ryzen-motherboards-explained-the-crucial-differences-in-every-am4-chipset.html

It's looking like I want an X470 motherboard to fit the ryzen CPU? Although the only differences between that and the X370 seem to be ram speed and StoreMi? what is storemi?

Would I be okay using the existing DDR3 ram with these boards, or would it be necessary to buy more?
This is looking cheaper than expected so buying new faster ram is probably in the budget, although would it be worthwhile to do so?

Does anyone have experience with either of these boards, and could attest as to any potential problems with voltage regulators? Would you guys recommend any particular manufacturer? I'm keen to avoid gigabyte due to past bad experiences

I also had a brief glance at threadripper boards with the new TR4 socket, its looking like those are out of my pricerange though. It looks like a TR4 board and compatible CPU starts about £600, although maybe i've missed some bargains somewhere. Does anyone know of a set that might come in under £500?

Nanako

Honorable
May 7, 2017
Still hoping for input, but i'm trying my best alone too

I'm currently looking at this motherboard https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-rog-strix-x470-f-gaming-amd-x470-s-am4-ddr4-sata3-dual-m2-2-way-sli-3-way-crossfire-gbe-usb-31

It seems to have just about everything i need, although i'm concerned about the large shielding parts covering many chips. Are those heatsinks? They don't have the sort of ridged/finned design you'd expect of a heatsink

Still not sure if my old RAM will work, input would be nice

For CPU, i'm looking at the ryzen 7 2700 X
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-am4-zenplus-8-core-16-thread-37ghz-435ghz-turbo-20mb-cache-105w-cpu-retail-plus-wr

It looks like about the best the socket type can support, and my budget can just about stretch to it. It has less than half the TDP of my old 9370 so i'm hoping heating won't be an issue