Question Buying Advice for Galaxy Tab A

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I'm not very knowledgeable about tablets, but I think I've settled on the Galaxy 10.1 tab A. All I'm really looking for a is tablet that's good at streaming video. It will mostly be used by one of my teenage children. I do like the bigger 10.1 screen.

Here's the Galaxy Tab A I'd like to get over at amazon for $185:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076MMCTW...olid=35M45YC1EGF0L&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is the 16GB version, but it comes bundled with a 32GB microSD card, bringing total storage to 48GB, if I'm understanding correctly. This should be more than enough for my needs unless there's some major draw back to using the microSD for storage. The 32GB model goes for 299 with no bundled MicroSD. Why would I pay $114 more for less overall storage? Considering what it's used for, maybe 16GB alone would even be fine, but hey, free bundle!

In researching these, I read something about security maybe being an issue with older Operating Systems. This one ships with Android 6.0. Does Android still support this OS? Basically I'm confused about what I need to be concerned about for security. I have a subscription to MacAfee for unlimited devices, so I can add anti-virus software to it, but that doesn't help if the OS is no longer being updated by Android. I don't know or understand what advantages I might gain with getting a newer OS like Android. Is PIE a different OS the way windows 10 and windows 8 are different or is PIE just an upgrade of 6.0? To be clear, I don't really care and don't need a long explanation. I just want a tablet that streams well and is reasonably secure going into the future.

Is this the right tablet for my needs? Am I overlooking something obvious? Is "security" even an issue? Please help me correct my misconceptions.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Additional 32gb SD card can be used for storing of mucsic / movies / etc, but cannot be used as primary storage (eg games).

Android 6 (Marshmallow) is three generations behind current ANdroid, and most probably you'll not see any update for this tablet from Samsung. I'd say that better variant for streaming-video laptop would be Amazon own' Fire tablet. And there are better tablets in $250 range as well.

Reactions: Muckster

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the reply Alabalcho,

First, if you know about it, can you talk about he security issues of buying something like the Tab A with Marshmallow? Is it fair to say that having an older OS that doesn't update means it's a security risk because hackers eventually find bugs to exploit? Hard to believe these older tablets turn to bricks so quickly. I'm not sure what Amazon uses for an OS for their Fire tablet, but are they committed to keeping their OS updated?

The 10.1 Fire sells for $150, or $190 for the 64GB. Even though the tablet is just for streaming, I'd like to keep using it for many years to come. Could I still get by with the $150 (32GB)?

As for better tablets in the $250 range, please give me your number one recommendation. Also, explain why it might be better for me considering all I want is something reliable and good at streaming.

Thanks for your help!

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Regardless of the tablet, you must not go for 16 GB in 2019. It's really low and you will get hardly 10 GB of usable space. Also, an sd card can never match the performance and convenience of the built in storage.

If really concerned about security, get an apple ipad.

Also, check out Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1
It's the 2019 model and probably what you're looking for.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks for the help Sagar,

Regardless of the tablet, you must not go for 16 GB in 2019.

I think I'll get at least 32, but why would more storage matter for streaming?

RE: Security

If really concerned about security, get an apple ipad.

Well, I don't know if it's really a concern. That's why I'm posting here. IS IT A concern? Apple does keep it's OS up to date but the same is true of a Windows Tablet and probably of Amazon as well. If I'm only using it for streaming, why is Apple the best? I like Ipads well enough but they are very expensive.

Also, check out Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1
It's the 2019 model and probably what you're looking for.

Okay, that looks good. 32GB internal storage as opposed to SD card, and it has the latest Android 9.0 Pie. $45 more than the one I linked, or about 25% more.

Looks like Android Q came out in March of this year. Does that mean PIE will only be supported for a year or two? Again, I'm trying to wrap my head around the question of security. I think it's ridiculous for android to keep coming out with new versions of the OS without keeping the older ones secure. What's the alternative?

I'm really hoping one of you guys out there can help me get to the bottom of this security issue. If the only way to get several years of basic OS security is to avoid Android, then that's what I'll do.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
No it's not a concern because generally no android phone or tab gets update for more than a year or two, except for Google and Apple. For most devices, it doesn't even matter as there is no change in the UI. However, in between manufacturers release security updates which claim to improve security but i doubt it changes anything.

Well, it's an android device and meant to be used. You'll probably install apps on it, which are by default set to auto update, also download things, click pics etc and storage space will run out day by day. If you are 100% sure you will only stream, then 16 GB is fine too.

Though may add an sd card later but most apps and their app data you can't move and it will likely create problems for you. That's why most premium phones don't allow expansion.

Also, it's not just the storage, almost everything will be better in the newer model. like performance, display resolution, battery capacity, etc.

Apple is the brand people trust, and users data with them is generally safe.

Android P is just an OS and has no relation with security. That is up to the manufacturer but for about 2 years, your device will stay up to date.

Security is a concern when you're buying something from brands with bad reputation, like Lenovo, Huawei, Oneplus etc because they've been accused of data theft in past.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Great info. Thanks Sager for your time.

No it's not a concern because generally no android phone or tab gets update for more than a year or two, except for Google and Apple. For most devices, it doesn't even matter as there is no change in the UI. However, in between manufacturers release security updates which claim to improve security but i doubt it changes anything.

Well, it's an android device and meant to be used. You'll probably install apps on it, which are by default set to auto update, also download things, click pics etc and storage space will run out day by day. If you are 100% sure you will only stream, then 16 GB is fine too.

Good points. Thanks for explaining. This makes total sense.

Though may add an sd card later but most apps and their app data you can't move and it will likely create problems for you. That's why most premium phones don't allow expansion.

Also, it's not just the storage, almost everything will be better in the newer model. like performance, display resolution, battery capacity, etc.

Apple is the brand people trust, and users data with them is generally safe.

Okay, that all makes sense.

Android P is just an OS and has no relation with security. That is up to the manufacturer but for about 2 years, your device will stay up to date.

Well, PIE is already over a year old and Q came out in March, so I can only expect them to keep my OS "up to date" for another year? I get your point above about the UI. My only concern was with bugs that get discovered at a later time by hackers making non-updated operating systems a security risk. (This isn't uncommon with Windows OS.)

Are you aware of this kind of hacking occurring with older operating systems on tablets? Am I just being paranoid again? It seems to me this wouldn't be an issue with a windows or apple tablet because they do release updates for much much longer than just 2 years.

So if I go with the Tab A, I'll get the one you linked for $229 (thank you!). However, for about that price range would you recommend something else instead? I know Apple is overkill and overpriced for my needs. In the past Windows tablets haven't been the best choice. Is this still the case?

Also, can I get your thoughts about the Amazon Fire (32GB, 10.1 screen)? It's pretty cheap at $150 but I'm sure it's less powerful than the Tab A you linked. Does Amazon regularly update it's OS? Would it be more or less secure compared to the Tab A?

Security is a concern when you're buying something from brands with bad reputation, like Lenovo, Huawei, Oneplus etc because they've been accused of data theft in past.

Good point. I'll avoid these.

Last edited:

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Honestly, when it comes to tab, i'd pick which ever offers the highest price to performance ratio or may be some exclusive sensors or features.

I have not encountered any such hacking. Generally what happens is manufacturers modify the stock android the way they want and put in some bad third party apps, that could possibly be tracking your data and location all day long.

In cheap mid-range devices, it becomes a big problem as it not only compromises security but also makes the device slow.

I have no idea about Fire HD 10.1.

Sounds great for the price but an android device w/o google play store is good for nothing and since it's from amazon, i am guessing it must have amazon ads or may be some built in apps that are usually non-removable. So, beware. I am not even talking about hardware which is obviously better on the Samsung Tab 10.1.

All depends on use. If you'll be using it for limited no of apps, and not much demanding then Fire HD 10 could be great but Fire HD 8 offers better value overall.

Last edited:

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Sagar,
Great. Thanks for all your time and advice. I think I'll go ahead and get the 2019 Tab A you linked. Most of the article style reviews I read put the Tab A near or at the top for this price range.