Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithin_1

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
The specs I am looking for are :
1. IPS Display or more
2. Graphics similar to Nvidia GTX 980m
3. Hard drive 1TB or higher( SSD if possible)
4. Screen size (15.6inch or higher)
5. Weight and dimensions-don't bother
6. Disk drive if possible .
7. Intel core i7 (3.5ghz or above)

I am gonna be joining college this September in Calgary,Canada.
I am considering buying an intensive gaming laptop with the price tag of more or less 2300$(CAD).
I have looked at 2 models
1. ASUS G751JY
2. ALIENWARE 17 R2
both r pretty awesome as the G751JY has better cooling and the R2 looks awesome.
I'm having a hard time figuring out whats best.
I heard there will be some pretty good offers then.
Any other suggestions please advise. More details on stores in Edmonton or Calgary or offers please advise.

For university purposes I've decided to use my Tablet and I don't have space for a Desktop in my dorm.

Solution

JayCee993

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
With this sort of price tag you can get one of the best Laptops around, I would honestly say just make sure that it has atleast 8GB RAM if you're not going to be editing/rendering etc, Most of the gaming laptops come with an i7 which is standard when you buy a 2k+ Laptop. Also just make sure it has a GTX 980M and an SSD and you'll have one of the most powerful laptops around.

8GB RAM Atleast
SSD Preferred
GTX 980M
i7 Processor

Complete that check-list and the machine you get will never let you down while gaming or completing college work.

Jason

JayCee993

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
Like Codo said its a crazy amount for a laptop, you could build a Gaming Desktop to have in your room or wherever you stay, and have a Laptop for your work, This will be a much better option in my opinion.

Nithin_1

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

I probably wont be upgrading it for a few years thats why.

Nithin_1

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015
Then please tell me what amount i could spend for a good gaming laptop that will last for around 4-5 years.
I am confused right now. My price range is around 2000 Canadian dollars. ( i could spend less if you could give me the best choice)

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Greetings Nithin:

If you want a capable, no-hassle gaming machine, both laptops will do the job - throw a dart!

But I have to agree with the other posters that you can get quite a lot of laptops with similar specs for far less. Let me just muddy the waters by suggesting this US$1,650 17.3.-inch Lenovo Y70-70T as featured on their US webpage:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y70-touch/
(I'm talking about the 80DU00B2US version.)

It does fall marginally short on the CPU requirement (2.60 GHz), the screen is touch-TN, and the optical drive is external, but included in the price (which incidentally comes down to US$1,250 with e-Coupons). But it has 16 GB of RAM and an 8 GB SSD partition on its 1 TB HDD which may come in handy.

I don't mean to lecture, but the only way to future-proof any computer is to learn how to tinker with hardware and mess around with software. This is traditionally desktop territory and only a few laptops can be modified without voiding the warranty. Games are becoming noticeably heavier and GPUs are becoming increasingly complex at a ridiculous rate. And I'm not even going to discuss CPUs and SSDs...

But at the same time, prices are (still) dropping, so if you want to be able to keep up with this pace with any laptop, my advice is to buy a mid-range laptop today (at US$1,100 to US$1,500), ditch it after 2 years and then buy another one.

Or make the move into the realm of desktops.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Solution

Nithin_1

Reputable
Jul 20, 2015

I am purchasing the laptops in canada and the lenovo y70 you mentioned costs 1800$(CAD)
But i could get an Asus G751JY or an alienware with a 980m at 2000$(CAD)

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
You don't buy alienware, ever, for starters. gaming laptops don't last because they cant handle the heat, regardless of how ridiculously bulky they are. You can build a very nice desktop for 1500 and get a decent laptop for ~700 bucks that will play most anything, albeit not on ultra or anything, although if you are where your desktop is you can stream from it as well over steam. You have to be someone making a stupid amount of money and have absolutely nothing else to throw it away on to spend in excess of 12-1500 on a laptop. ever.

Why, oh why, most recent questions start with "I am going to college, what gaming system to get?"

Guys - you are going to study, and you are going to study hard. Don't spend your parent's money, and don't waste your time, on something you will not get a grade in the college.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello Nithin:

I'm sorry, I missed the part about your not having room for a desktop. If you have CAD2,000 to spend, by all means go for either machine, or pick the Lenovo and use the CAD200 on some decent peripherals (e.g. gaming keyboard/mouse or sound system). Don't fret about future-proofing and play all the games available today. By the time you graduate, it will be a completely new ball-game.

Best of luck,
GreyCatz.

Status
Not open for further replies.