Buying an SSD

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
I am looking at buying an SSD, but with all the different one's out there it's hard. Reviews are all over the place it seems and also doesn't answer, what capacity I should get.

My hard drive is a slow 1TB Hard drive, games installed and software installed it totals to about 348Gb right now.

I do plan on a clean-install as that seems to be one thing EVERYONE agrees on.

Now I do know that one should keep some capacity open for the SSD for provisioning and such. But what capacity should I go with and what brand, so I'd like something that would allow a little room for expansion and something good. Maybe something that would be capable of being filled up and not being too badly affected by this happening.

Price range is probably about $200-$300 max. Maybe a little more if the SSD is really suggested. I have a $25 gift card to Amazon to help with the price some.

Forgot to add, I only have a spot for 1 drive it's a laptop. It does support AHCI. I checked that to make sure.

It also has an i7 (not an Ultrabook). It's an i7 4700MQ

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012

Just one drive only, no optical drive or room for a second drive. It's a lenovo y510p with the ultrabay, the ultrabay is being used by a second GT755m for SLI.