Buying an SSD

skerdaloo17

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Im going to buy an SSD as a boot drive for my PC since my 1tb seagate has windows on it but it I always experience the blue screen of death on it due to the OS being corrupted, I do not want to reformat the HDD because all of my games are on that drive and they are so many that I cannot back them up. So is it possible for me to install Windows 10 on an SSD and use that as my boot drive on the BIOS? will the old OS on my HDD cause any problems to my PC? or will it just be another normal HDD because Im using the SSD as my boot drive. can i also delete the contents on windows 10 on the HDD if i have the SSD as the boot drive? Thank you. :)

Solution
You can disconnect the hdd from the computer and then put it back in, but that doesn't matter. Just shut the computer off and then put in the ssd and then turn it on and go into the bios and put ssd as first drive. Do you have a friend that has a hard drive you can put the games on? Maybe you could go to a store and buy a 1 tb drive and then put the games on that, then do your stuff. Then transfer the games back onto your hdd that is as storage. Then take back the tb drive you brought? Kinda cheating but eh, you could technically do it I think?

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
So when you get the ssd and put the os on it, the other drive will appear like another boot drive. You will have to make sure the ssd is priority number 1 so you can boot from that and not the hdd. Then once in the ssd os, I would open and get your files onto an external drive or some place. Or maybe the ssd as temporary. Then once that is backed up, you can then go ahead and wipe the hdd and format it. Then you will have ssd as boot up and hdd as storage and you can move back the files to the hdd if you want. You say your games are there? If they are through steam, you can just re download them.

skerdaloo17

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

My games are not through steam sadly. I live in the Philippines and I only download games on the internet, I dont have any other hard drives in which I can back up 900gb worth of games. I can try to take the HDD out first and install the SSD along with the OS, once its done, can i just place the HDD back? I will make the SSD as my primary boot drive on the BIOS.

Nerdy Nerd

Reputable
Mar 19, 2016
You can disconnect the hdd from the computer and then put it back in, but that doesn't matter. Just shut the computer off and then put in the ssd and then turn it on and go into the bios and put ssd as first drive. Do you have a friend that has a hard drive you can put the games on? Maybe you could go to a store and buy a 1 tb drive and then put the games on that, then do your stuff. Then transfer the games back onto your hdd that is as storage. Then take back the tb drive you brought? Kinda cheating but eh, you could technically do it I think?

Solution