Buying an ultrawide... Question about refresh rates

robin.saarikko

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
So I bought 2080ti... still waiting for it though (should appear 19th... hopefully), and I figured that wouldn't really do any justice on a--- I'd say 5 year old 1080p 144hz monitor from Acer - So buying a new one

I got kind of fixated into these 2 displays:

- C34F791 UW VA [QD] panel from Samsung

- PG348Q UW IPS from ASUS

I'm kinda done with the "silicon lottery of IPS monitors". I'm basically just asking about the g-sync --- Is it necessary on a graphics card of this caliber?

Now before you ask: If you have the money for a 2080ti; why won't you wait for the future 1440p UW HDR 200hz monitors? - the answer to that is that - I don't have the money for at least 1 and half grand costing monitor... SO these are the options!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
G-sync is certainly preferable with an Nvidia card. But it really comes down to if you will use it or not.

What do you intend to run on this setup?

MMOs or sandbox games with open worlds? Then I would say G-sync yes.
Recent AAA first person shooters with everything maxed out, probably again, G-sync yes.
Competitive shooter play where every frame counts, no.
Older games that the system will have zero issues running, then standard V-sync is fine.

Given the width of the monitor I imagine tearing would be more obvious, particularly if it lands near the center of the screen.

I would probably go with the ASUS myself. Though this lottery you speak of more or less applies to both.

The famous issues with backlight bleed are on AHVA (VA) panels, not PLS or IPS. There are as many variants as there are patents though.

Khaydin1

Prominent
May 26, 2017
Necessary? No. Worth it? Only people who have used it will you tell you it's worth it. It's something you have to experience for yourself. It is a night and day difference. It's the best of both worlds - the smoothness of v-sync and the responsiveness of no v-sync. I will never again buy a monitor without free sync or g-sync unless that monitor will never see gaming.

I have the PG348Q and there are definitely some problems with my panel, mostly just backlight bleed around certain edges. Only a pain when there are dark colors in those areas. I would say it's only light bleeding. I also have the 165Hz 27" g-sync monitor (can't remember model) from Asus and it has similar light bleed. Even with the light bleed, still the best monitors i've ever owned.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I have the PG279Q and it does have significant bleed through at the bottom right, which is a common flaw. Where the power comes in and I would guess some stress during installation does it. Really though unless you like staring at the monitor in a dim room it isn't too noticeable. As long as you don't end up with discoloration right in the center, it is pretty good.

robin.saarikko

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
If you had to choose between the two - I'll have to add another factor in - the Samsung one costing 699 € (615 £?) and the Asus/Alienware/Acer model's with basically same specs (UW 120 Hz IPS w/ G-sync) costing around 1199 € (1050 £)...

The Samsung one is on sale from 871 € (I don't get why the price difference is originally so big - what like 35% decrease in price compared to the 1k counterparts)