Janny1993UK

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Hello I will be building a new PC either this year or the next depending on money and circumstances. I've had my PC for around 10 years and have had parts for a long time. I would like to finally start fresh because my AMD 7870XT Sapphire card died a few months back which I think I had for around 7 years. Great card but didn't play as much as I would've liked to and sometimes struggled but that was one of the best cards a long time ago.

I will be purchasing a 1660, 1660 Super or Ti but I am unsure at the moment. I am just wanting a card which works great at a low low price as I don't game much at the moment anyway so I will be picking one of those because they're cheap and good. I use my PC for watching YouTube, movies and browsing and maybe light gaming at the moment.

I currently have i5-3570k, 16gb HyperX DDR3 unsure on motherboard and psu but all will be changed or sold on and will build a brand new PC.

Approximate Purchase Date: Whenever the prices will be cheap but I will be slowly upgrading parts over time, maybe all at once around Black Friday?

Budget Range: Unsure on price range but I have parts in mind that I'd like to purchase. The PC may end up being around £700-£1500 if including monitor.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: YouTube, movies, browsing, gaming, editing videos with sony vegas and such. Gaming and editing may end most important in the end but usually it will be YouTube + Gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, I will be buying a new monitor in the future. I currently have a 24" BenQ 120hz but I will be wanting to upgrade to a 27" Asus 1440p 144hz monitor or whichever brand or monitor is good at the time of purchase.

Parts to Upgrade: I will be upgrading everything from mouse to cpu but getting the basic computer running first and then upgrading monitor, mouse, keyboard etc. last. I have a hard drive, ssd, speakers so I will not need to change those as they're only a few months old.

Do you need to buy OS: Not sure if Windows 10 is better? I have a Windows 7 64 bit and have always used this for anything and everything.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, eBay, Scan.co.uk, any UK website

Parts Preferences: I will be purchasing Ryzen 7 2700x, 1660(normal,super,ti) GPU, EVGA 650w G3 or 750w G5 Gold PSU. Would a corsair PSU be better?
Unsure on the RAM or what is compatible, the motherboard, case, cooling, unsure on everything.
Monitor will be 27" Asus 1440p 144hz unless there is a better brand or monitor nowadays, might go bigger at 32" max.
I will be upgrading the mouse and keyboard too but not sure what brand of those to go for. Maybe a logitech g502 mouse.

Overclocking: Maybe a small amount.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440. Unsure on the wide or curved monitors. 144hz minimum.

Additional Comments: I like colourful design inside or just blue lighting, but outside not too bothered, maybe a blue colour or just show me some and I will pick what I like the look of.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I've had my PC for a very long time. I want to upgrade as I want to get back into gaming as I used to love playing it hours a day. My GPU stopped working and my PC is too old for the games nowadays and I feel like the computer will eventually stop working.
I will be buying the 1660 GPU soon as I just want my current computer to run smoothly, then I will slowly upgrade over time.
I am coming from a i5-3570k and AMD 7870XT so all of the changes will be drastic in the end.

Last edited:
Solution
It's probably worth asking this closer to when you intend to build the system, since new hardware is likely to be coming out by then, and prices of components will likely change.

Also, an 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 2700X is a decent processor, but unless you have specific workloads that will heavily utilize all cores, the newer 6-core, 12-thread Ryzen 3600 or 3600X will tend to be a little faster at most common tasks, since AMD improved performance-per-clock by around 15% for their 3000-series processors. Again though, by the time you go to build, new processors may be out, and the prices of existing models will likely have changed.

As for the graphics card, a 1660 / 1660 SUPER / 1660 Ti are decent options, though if you are moving from...
It's probably worth asking this closer to when you intend to build the system, since new hardware is likely to be coming out by then, and prices of components will likely change.

Also, an 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 2700X is a decent processor, but unless you have specific workloads that will heavily utilize all cores, the newer 6-core, 12-thread Ryzen 3600 or 3600X will tend to be a little faster at most common tasks, since AMD improved performance-per-clock by around 15% for their 3000-series processors. Again though, by the time you go to build, new processors may be out, and the prices of existing models will likely have changed.

As for the graphics card, a 1660 / 1660 SUPER / 1660 Ti are decent options, though if you are moving from 1080p to 1440p, be aware that the higher resolution increases load on the graphics card. So it might be worth considering something a little faster, like an RTX 2060, or an RX 5600 XT or 5700.

Solution

Janny1993UK

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013

As for the graphics card, a 1660 / 1660 SUPER / 1660 Ti are decent options, though if you are moving from 1080p to 1440p, be aware that the higher resolution increases load on the graphics card. So it might be worth considering something a little faster, like an RTX 2060, or an RX 5600 XT or 5700.

That's fine. I will upgrade everything else towards the time I actually have the money for it all, maybe the 3700x is better when I end up buying the parts. At the moment I'm running a GTX260 I've had since like 2009 and just doesn't run smooth even when I watch videos at 720p.

I know some games may not run smooth at 1440p on the 1660 but maybe after a year or 2 I will upgrade to a 1080ti or something which is similar/better at the time for the price. At the moment I just want something to get by as I most likely won't game properly till I get my new computer. I was wanting to get the 1660 super as its pretty cheap and still a pretty amazing card compared to what I had (AMD 7870xt). There's a Gigabyte 1660 Super for £220 so I was just going to get it for now.

Would 1660 Super be perfect for now till the next year or so? I will make another thread in the future when it comes to it. I just mainly wanted to see what other people think about the build as I haven't been up to date with any recent computer advances etc.

Latest posts