[SOLVED] Buying corded keyboard

1s3ct0wN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Keyboards depend on what you like, the good quality ones can be used for gaming as well as typing. For good quality and good typing feel you would want a mechanical, MX Red switches or similar are good for all around use, so are MX Browns. Really you would need to read a bunch about different switches or go to a store to try them, then decide.

I have about 4 different mechanical keyboard and like them all for slightly different reasons, so there is no good way to just have someone else pick for you. Just go by "the more I spend the better stuff I get" and read about the switches if you can't find a place to try them at. You can also buy small testers with different switches on them to try out like this https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Switch-Tester-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01GZHU1EG

Reactions: 1s3ct0wN

1s3ct0wN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Keyboards depend on what you like, the good quality ones can be used for gaming as well as typing. For good quality and good typing feel you would want a mechanical, MX Red switches or similar are good for all around use, so are MX Browns. Really you would need to read a bunch about different switches or go to a store to try them, then decide.

I have about 4 different mechanical keyboard and like them all for slightly different reasons, so there is no good way to just have someone else pick for you. Just go by "the more I spend the better stuff I get" and read about the switches if you can't find a place to try them at. You can also buy small testers with different switches on them to try out like this https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Switch-Tester-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01GZHU1EG
Did some research on the web, seems like Blue will fit me the best, don't care about noise all that matters is the feel, is it correct that Blue have the best feel and their downside its being loud?

Did some research on the web, seems like Blue will fit me the best, don't care about noise all that matters is the feel, is it correct that Blue have the best feel and their downside its being loud?

Feel is personal, the blues are like the old style IBM keyboards. I have never tried the real Blues but have tried a few copies, which I liked the feel of, but not the sound or performance of. They take a bit more force and have a longer activation travel than what I like. Most people prefer the Red switches. Without you trying them out for a bit there is really only a guess as to what you would like.

D

Deleted member 14196

i prefer brown switches the best so far, but yes, it's all personal preference. browns get more done with less noise... lol but still clacky enough

1s3ct0wN

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
Feel is personal, the blues are like the old style IBM keyboards. I have never tried the real Blues but have tried a few copies, which I liked the feel of, but not the sound or performance of. They take a bit more force and have a longer activation travel than what I like. Most people prefer the Red switches. Without you trying them out for a bit there is really only a guess as to what you would like.
What do you mean by performance is that it takes more force and have a longer activation travel right? How would mechanical keyboard compare to membrane when it comes to force needed to register the key?

What do you mean by performance is that it takes more force and have a longer activation travel right? How would mechanical keyboard compare to membrane when it comes to force needed to register the key?

Pretty much all membrane keyboard would have a lighter touch to use them. But have a different feel to them. I have liked quite a few good quality membrane keyboard, there there are some that are called "memchanicals" that fake the feel of a mechanical with membrane keys. If you want something cheaper to try out that is not mechanical, the Cooler Master Devastator is nice https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/peripheral/keyboards/devastator/ Keyboard has a pretty good feel to it.