Question buying cpu of ebay is it risky 5950x

Status
Not open for further replies.

humzy12

Great
BANNED
Jun 6, 2020
the seller says he purchased it online and will print the receipt out for buyers or send original receipt
i have read online that anything you buy on ebay even with receipt the guarantee is not covered from the original manufacturer as it is second hand.

the risky part is if you buy it and seller is no were to be found your in trouble.
can any one comment here if it is safe to buy even they provide printed or original receipt.

Oct 27, 2020
Factory warranty would be best if you decide to spend a couple hundred bucks on a 2"x2" piece of silica and metal.
In the Netherlands this particular CPU costs upwards 849 Euro -> about 900 portraits of George Washington. So if I would be considering buying this CPU, I would do my damnedest best to have my arse covered with as many warranty certificates as possible.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Oct 27, 2020
If he did not register it online , it wont be a second hand . there is no way for them to know.

I dont buy new CPU from Ebay .. only cheap used ones. if you insist pay using Paypal ... Paypal has Purchase protection.

read here

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

I might be mistaken but I don't see anything in PayPal Purchase Protection that would cover warranty.

<quote>
"If you don't receive the item that you ordered, or it shows up significantly different from its description, you may qualify for Purchase Protection."
</quote>

So if the item you bought is not the item you ordered, or if the item you bought is not working or DOA while having ordered a functioning item, OR if it had been damaged during shipping you MIGHT qualify for PayPal Purchase Protection. It's by far NOT the same warranty any vendor or (online) shop would give you. Even more, it's NOT warranty AT ALL in the legal sense of the word.

the seller says he purchased it online and will print the receipt out for buyers or send original receipt
i have read online that anything you buy on ebay even with receipt the guarantee is not covered from the original manufacturer as it is second hand.

the risky part is if you buy it and seller is no were to be found your in trouble.
can any one comment here if it is safe to buy even they provide printed or original receipt.
What are you using your system for, that you need a CPU like that? Just curious.

USAFRet

Titan

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

"THIS LIMITED WARRANTY, AND ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES THAT MAY EXIST UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, APPLY ONLY TO THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THE AMD PROCESSOR, OR AMD PROCESSOR-BASED COMPUTER AND LAST ONLY FOR AS LONG AS SUCH PURCHASER CONTINUES TO OWN THE PROCESSOR. "

(emphasis mine)

Original purchaser.
That is not you.

USAFRet

Titan

$800 CPU
128GB RAM

Why fleabay?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I might be mistaken but I don't see anything in PayPal Purchase Protection that would cover warranty.

<quote>
"If you don't receive the item that you ordered, or it shows up significantly different from its description, you may qualify for Purchase Protection."
</quote>

So if the item you bought is not the item you ordered, or if the item you bought is not working or DOA while having ordered a functioning item, OR if it had been damaged during shipping you MIGHT qualify for PayPal Purchase Protection. It's by far NOT the same warranty any vendor or (online) shop would give you. Even more, it's NOT warranty AT ALL in the legal sense of the word.

I was not talking about warranty , I was talking about it being risky or not.

I buy electronics and computer components for my job very often from EBay.
I get very good deals with EBay.
I very rarely have any trouble with EBay or the sellers or the quality of the products.
the one thing I would advise is....make sure that the seller is reputable. You can see this from their ratings.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

"THIS LIMITED WARRANTY, AND ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES THAT MAY EXIST UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, APPLY ONLY TO THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THE AMD PROCESSOR, OR AMD PROCESSOR-BASED COMPUTER AND LAST ONLY FOR AS LONG AS SUCH PURCHASER CONTINUES TO OWN THE PROCESSOR. "

(emphasis mine)

Original purchaser.
That is not you.

Yes but how can they verify that ? it is almost impossible to verify.

For instance, if AMD wishes to give a refund.....what credit card will it go back to?
Not Yours.
I'm not sure AMD would have access to the sales data to know the original buyer's credit card in order to refund to it in any case. That's got to be data only the original retailer would have...at least I dearly hope that it's not easily available to third parties in any case. And then, what if it were a cash sale?

Realistically all I think AMD would do is replace a defective processor with a good one.

I'm not saying e-Bay sales are 'safe' by any means as you never have a good idea what you're getting until you get it and open the package. And I'm not a fan of the so-called buyer protections they have as they haven't protected me in the past.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not sure AMD would have access to the sales data to know the original buyer's credit card in order to refund to it in any case. That's got to be data only the original retailer would have...at least I dearly hope that it's not easily available to third parties in any case. And then, what if it were a cash sale?

Realistically all I think AMD would do is replace a defective processor with a good one.

I'm not saying e-Bay sales are 'safe' by any means as you never have a good idea what you're getting until you get it and open the package. And I'm not a fan of the so-called buyer protections they have as they haven't protected me in the past.
Maybe.

But lets assume it was bought from Newegg.
Where would a refund go?

Yes, a replacement is much more probable. But a refund is not unheard of.

In my last RMA to SanDisk, (dead SSD) they wanted a copy of the original invoice (Amazon).
Which lists the date, shipping name and address, payment method (last 4 of credit card)

In any case, the AMD warranty terms specifically states "Original Purchaser".
I personally would not risk an $800 warranty of the good graces of some dude from fleabay.

Ebay is good for some things. A rear windows latch for a 23 year old truck. A long out of production 8mm camcorder.
A theoretically brand new high end CPU? Not even a little bit.

In any case, the AMD warranty terms specifically states "Original Purchaser".
I personally would not risk an $800 warranty of the good graces of some dude from fleabay.

Ebay is good for some things. A rear windows latch for a 23 year old truck. A long out of production 8mm camcorder.
A theoretically brand new high end CPU? Not even a little bit.

Excellent point about e-bay; alongside Craigs List, IMHO the 'flea markets' of the internet.

But aside from that it's also just bad for everyone to support scalpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.