Buying first SSD need help

stryker412

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I'm finally making the jump to SSD for my primary HDD. I don't need it specifically for gaming but will use it for gaming/video conversions. I store almost everything on my NAS permanently but I always seem to run out of room on the 120GB partition I have now for my C:. Can anyone make some recommendations in the 256GB/$200 range? I have a large credit at Amazon right now.

These are the models I'm currently looking at:

[strike]Samsung 840
Samsung 840 Pro (not sure if it's worth the extra $ for me)[/strike]
Intel 335
Intel 330
[strike]Crucial M4 [/strike]
OCZ Vertex 4

Here is my current system:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
Bloomfield 45nm Technology
RAM
6.00 GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 534MHz (8-8-8-20)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6X58D-E (LGA1366)
Graphics
1023MB GeForce GTX 465 (EVGA)
Hard Drives
733GB Western Digital WDC WD7501AALS-00J7B0 ATA Device (SATA)

Looking for some recommendations.

I just got the Samsung 840 pro and I do think it's worth the extra money as the regular 840 has some low write speeds and I would get the 830 before that one.
Next would be the Intels so your list is pretty accurate except for the regular 840.

stryker412

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Just keep in mind this is my first SSD so going from a traditional HDD I probably wouldn't know the difference in real world use for the 840 Pro. Right now even a standard SSD will probably blow me away, but I also want to keep within budget. I also want to buy something that will last the next few years.

Agreed and by going with the Intel drive you are getting good quality. Yes the Samsung 840 pro would be the top choice but as you said you want to stay within budget so there's nothing wrong with an Intel SSD. With no moving parts the SSD will last a long time. Just a few bits of advice and don't defrag the SSD it really doesn't ever need it and try not to run a lot of benchmarks to keep seeing how fast it is. Last of all you will be blown away.

I guess it going to be a question of when do you want the drive and is it something your going to wait for or is it something that you want right away. Don't forget that black Friday and Cyber Monday are coming up in a week so you might get some really good deals. I think Cyber Monday would be the better deals on computer parts.
The dioifferences between the two Intel SSDs and the OCZ are not that far apart and any of them woulsd be a good choice.
If I were you I would get this drive.

http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC256B-WW/dp/B0077CR66A/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1353260488&sr=1-8&keywords=ssd

YUour budget is $200 and I have this very same one and I can tell you from personal experience that this SSD is great. I just couldn't resist it when Samsung released the 840 and I had to have one but I'm keeping the 830 for a secondary drive.