Buying from Deal Targets and Mike's Computer Shop via Amazon and Newegg

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I want to buy some expensive computer components. Problem is that they are not available directly via Amazon or Newegg. Instead, they are sold by Deal Targets and Mike's Computer Shop via Amazon and Newegg. Anybody has experience with these stores? Will Amazon and Newegg help me to resolve issues if something go wrong with the product during and after the 30 days return period?

Solution
The first 30 days yes but after that no...but the same would be true if you were working with parts sold directly through them. After 30 days your directed to warrenty/RMA a product. Point being the first 30 days everything is fine even with 3rd party sellers. Both amazon and newegg protect the buyer over the seller so no worries there if you get a bum part.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
The first 30 days yes but after that no...but the same would be true if you were working with parts sold directly through them. After 30 days your directed to warrenty/RMA a product. Point being the first 30 days everything is fine even with 3rd party sellers. Both amazon and newegg protect the buyer over the seller so no worries there if you get a bum part.

Solution

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thanks. Is it worth to wait for Amazon and Newegg to sell the item directly? One component is known to have high defective rate.

It is cheaper to buy from Deal Targets than Mike's but it has some poor reviews from customers.

g-unit1111

Titan

That's on the manufacturer, that's not on the store that sold it to you. Those stores you listed are Amazon and Newegg minion sellers, they should be fine to buy from if they're backed and protected by Newegg. I wouldn't read too much into the store reviews as it can drive you crazy.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Yeah I wouldn't worry to much especially if your in the US with the tariffs coming. The same parts will cost 25% more very very soon. I might even upgrade early and get a PCIe 3.0 system though I was waiting for PCIe 4.0 to drop next year or so. Tough times to be wanting to buy new tech...

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

I am in Canada. Does that apply? Why the same parts will cost 25$ more very very soon?

I bought a 8400K and 1080Ti with other components to build a PC in May. It did not work out and returned all items. Now, all these items cost more than before :-( They should be cheaper over time and the prices keep increasing even I heard that those miners are not buying as many as before. Very annoying.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Nah your safe in Canada...It is a US trade war thing. Totally sucks for us though lol. And not $ 25 it is 25% which is way way worse. I tend to spend about 2500 on a PC build. Let's say I chose the parts today with my 2500 on mind but then waited to actually buy in January...now that same build will cost 3125 meaning I would have to lower the specs on my build to stay in budget or simply deal with paying more. Zen 2 sounds great next year but Intel's gen 9 stuff is looking better if I have to buy before January.

g-unit1111

Titan

So you're saying that your proposed $2500 build is going to cost $3,125? That's a 125% increase in the price. I would suggest checking your math there.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Nah you want to check yours...

https://captaincalculator.com/math/percent/percentage-increase-calculator/
https://sciencing.com/increase-number-percentage-4605952.html

2500 increased by 625 dollars is a 25% increase.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Ideally, I hope to build a powerful workstation when Intel has removed the meltdown and spectre issues at hardware level and also when the PCIe 4.0/5.0 components are available. Need to wait for 3-5 months for the new CPU and a year for 4.0? Due to software compatibility, I am stuck with Intel CPUs.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Yeah unfortunately those techs are not out yet so yeah you are stuck waiting for another year or so.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

Is it worth to wait?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Great question. One I have yet to answer fully and likely won't until those techs drop. I am very on the fence about buying a new system now to avoid cost increases or waiting and hoping the performance uptick was worth the wait/cost. I honestly don't know what I will do myself so not sure if I can advise you satisfactorily.

g-unit1111

Titan

There will be deals on some components but I wouldn't expect any big ticket items (CPUs, GPUs, high end cases and PSUs, etc) to drop in price at all. Most of the time it's usually high volume low yield junk that they can't move the rest of the year. You will see a few good deals but don't expect like a $100 price drop on an SSD that costs $150.