Buying gaming mouse

joaoint

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
Hi,

I´m in the process of buying my first gaming mouse, i´m not a hardcore gamer, i´m an ocasional gamer, the maximum i can afford is 25 euros, i have gathered this 4 options, i would like to know if you guys can help me decide wich one is the best.

Logitech g100s
a4tech bloody v8m
a4tech bloody a91
a4tech bloody a90

Thanks,

Solution
The a4tech a90 and a91 appear to be basically the same mouse, same features, slightly different shaped. The a90 is slightly larger by a couple mm all the way around, in width, height and length. The v8m has a slightly different shape from the other two and the optical sensor appears different since it has a lower max resolution (for tracking), slower acceleration speed. I'm not sure how much difference there would be mechanically between them, the biggest difference is probably what feels the most comfortable to you. That's subjective, no one can tell you what will feel best to you only what feels best to them.

I can't compare since I don't own and have never used any of them. The logitech might be just fine but it lacks several...
The a4tech a90 and a91 appear to be basically the same mouse, same features, slightly different shaped. The a90 is slightly larger by a couple mm all the way around, in width, height and length. The v8m has a slightly different shape from the other two and the optical sensor appears different since it has a lower max resolution (for tracking), slower acceleration speed. I'm not sure how much difference there would be mechanically between them, the biggest difference is probably what feels the most comfortable to you. That's subjective, no one can tell you what will feel best to you only what feels best to them.

I can't compare since I don't own and have never used any of them. The logitech might be just fine but it lacks several buttons like the thumb buttons. If you use thumb buttons while gaming then the logitech may disappoint you. If not then you might not care.

Even though I don't own any of the ones you listed I've been using a different model a4tech mouse the past several years. It's been a great mouse for gaming and other work. I'm not a pro gamer, just a casual gamer and don't play competitively or anything, just for fun. Both fps and open world games. The shape of it is similar to the a90/a91 and it works well for me and the way I grip a mouse, the button layout is a little different than those.

The feet are still fine and mine only has 4 smaller standard feet. It's outlasted more expensive mice like a gigabyte mouse I had. The feet should last on most mice so long as you use it on a soft pad, if using on a harder surface or hard mouse pad the feet tend to wear quicker.

Solution

Mikeandike

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
call me the insane one here but I use trackballs when gaming and so far my favorite to use is the Kensington Orbit, the downsides are well... its a trackball so no adjustable dpi or extra buttons, but its crazy ergonomic and imho does pretty well.

Mine is an older model, an a4tech f4.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/A4-Tech-F4-V-Track-Capability/dp/B006T59U4W

The oscar software for it is pretty decent. I needed a mouse and it was on sale when I bought it, figured I'd give it a shot even though I hadn't heard of a4tech before. It's turned out to be a solid mouse for my needs. Has a couple thumb buttons, the standard left click, right click, scrollwheel is a 3rd button and it has a 4th small button at the top between the left click and clickable scrollwheel. It has an adjustable weight set with 7 small weights to make the mouse a little heavier or lighter if you want.

There's a little bit of acceleration with the mouse, it doesn't track absolutely perfect the way some gamers prefer. I don't notice it and use it for gaming, photoshop work and basic web browsing without issue. I've not noticed any missed shots in games or anything because of it but then I don't play competitively. I use a little mouse acceleration within windows anyway so I can move from one side of the screen to the other (1080p) with just a flick of my wrist. The dpi is adjustable if more precision is needed.

I'm not sure where you're from or what stores/sites you may have access to. If you can use amazon it might be worth checking around and comparing prices. I know you mentioned euro, the site I provided was uk so was in gbp's. There are similar mice to the one I have, I'm not sure how they differ exactly but there's the sharkoon fireglider for around 10gbp less than the a4tech f4 and there's an a4tech xl-747h with a different logo painted on it for around 5gbp less. If that's true in euro's as well there might be very similar options.

It's hard recommending mice, something you'll be controlling directly for ease of use, personal preference in fitment to your hand. It's whatever works for you. I've used trackballs in the past and I'm not fond of them, I find them tedious and a pain to use. Mikeandike on the other hand it seems to work well for them. In that case a trackball wouldn't be a good fit for me and a more traditional mouse may not be a good fit for them.

Here's one article that talks a bit about the differences between optical and laser mice, the acceleration issue I mentioned that some gamers don't like etc.
http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-mouse-myths-busted/

The mouse I'm using (f4) is laser as are all those a4tech's you listed I believe. I'm not sure about the logitech, I think it's optical. In this price range it may be more or less nitpicking, nothing in a lower to mid budget is likely going to be the absolute best in all areas.

It may also be worth skimming through reviews for the mice to see what owners have to say. Some reviews/feedback are pointless and I don't think reviews are a perfect way to determine the quality of a product but when things keep popping up there may be something to it. Overall the logitech g100s for instance seems to get decent reviews (at least on newegg). A number of reviews mention a problem with the left click. On just the first page of reviews, one person says after 5-6mo the left click is difficult to register, the next says 'left click not registering half the time after 3mo', 'after 23mo the left click is beginning to fail', 'after 4-5mo the left click button started requiring more pressure to use', 'left mouse button died after 2mo', 'starting to miss clicks after 2-3mo'.

All that was only from the first page and I'm not trying to bash logitech. I've owned a number of their older plain mice and loved them. However when so many people come back with roughly the same complaint there may be something to consider. Maybe quality control isn't there on that mouse, maybe they had a run of bad switches failing early, I'm not sure. But a consistent issue tells me there may be more chance of having a problem with that particular mouse.

Mikeandike

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
also i highly reccomend the ds 200 by MSI bought it for my new build and I-AM-IN-LOVE, variable dpi, every single button (9 including the left, right, and middle buttons) are programmable in any form you wish, nice rgb lighting, and 5 profiles to use I love this thing. Also it comes with removable weights in the base of the mouse so if you want it heavier or lighter it supports that. One word of note though, its a mouse for larger hands.

TRENDING THREADS