[SOLVED] Buying gaming pc

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
So after all the pain i've been through with my current setup I finally decided to just buy a prebuild pc from a pc store and would appreciate if u guys could tell me if the specs are good and if something needs change. I was looking the comparisons and this cpu has very high usage compared to some ryzens so that's why I need help.

Specs 1:
https://prnt.sc/r87dbr
i7 9700k
msi z 390-a pro
2x8 ddr4 3000mhz
512GB SSD + 1TB HDD
RTX 2070
Antec hcg 750 80+ gold I think

Specs 2:
https://prnt.sc/r87bdn
MSI Z390-A PRO
i7-9700KF(idk what is kf one)
2x8 ddr4 3000mhz
512GB SSD + 2TB HDD
RTX2070-8GB SUPER
750W Antec HCG-750 Gold

Price difference is ~100€

I know the components are similar but that's why i'm asking community bcs I don't know which is better. Personally i'd choose first one bcs it has more fans and liquid cooling, but the second one is better right? I just don't know the KF meaning. And i'm looking to play at 1080p 144hz. Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Kf means no integrated graphics on the cpu. This doesnt matter in your case since you have a gpu. I suggest the second one, since the better gpu will make a greater difference than liquid cooling.

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
Kf means no integrated graphics on the cpu. This doesnt matter in your case since you have a gpu. I suggest the second one, since the better gpu will make a greater difference than liquid cooling.
Oh, thanks. Well I could put in more fans if I wanted to right? I'll still ask how many are there in the 2nd one. Thanks tho :)

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
Yes, you should upgrade your monitor as soon as you can get a decent 1440p monitor.
So I should buy the second pc and upgrade to 1440p as soon as I can? It won't be bad if I play it on 1080p until then like lower performance?
Edit: I have g-sync capable monitor now, should I buy 1440p with g sync? And on this monitor I have this blinking whenever I alt tab or maximize window and I can't seem to find a solution to fix it. Should I just wait until new drivers are out or?

So I should buy the second pc and upgrade to 1440p as soon as I can? It won't be bad if I play it on 1080p until then like lower performance?
Edit: I have g-sync capable monitor now, should I buy 1440p with g sync? And on this monitor I have this blinking whenever I alt tab or maximize window and I can't seem to find a solution to fix it. Should I just wait until new drivers are out or?
Yes. Get a 1440p144Hz monitor or something. You won't get worse performance on 1080p though. You just won't be utilizing all of the PC
Pretty much any Freesync monitor works on nvidia cards at this point. They gave up on making their stuff proprietary.
What do you mean by blinking? Drivers likely won't fix a monitor issue.

Reactions: DanijelPeder

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
Yes. Get a 1440p144Hz monitor or something. You won't get worse performance on 1080p though. You just won't be utilizing all of the PC
Pretty much any Freesync monitor works on nvidia cards at this point. They gave up on making their stuff proprietary.
What do you mean by blinking? Drivers likely won't fix a monitor issue.
It's okay I guess i'll just play 1080p I was scared that i'd have worse fps or something. Idk when I use browser normally it doesn't blink it's working normally, but when I go fullscreen in any video (discord, yt, fb,...) and when I alt tab my screen flickers for a second like going full black then back normal. When I disable G sync it's working perfectly fine. But I have it on since I get screen tearing I have like 90 fps in game but it feels like I have 30.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends entirely on the games and settings in question. There's more than a few games that'll challenge even a RTX2080ti at 1080p/144Hz Ultra settings. There's also a lot of post-processing affects that are automatically applied in generic settings that are next to useless and so abstract as to make almost no discernable difference to the game or view, but brutal on a gpu.

A 2070S can be overkill for many simpler games, but can struggle just as much with some intense graphics and high refresh.

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
Depends entirely on the games and settings in question. There's more than a few games that'll challenge even a RTX2080ti at 1080p/144Hz Ultra settings. There's also a lot of post-processing affects that are automatically applied in generic settings that are next to useless and so abstract as to make almost no discernable difference to the game or view, but brutal on a gpu.

A 2070S can be overkill for many simpler games, but can struggle just as much with some intense graphics and high refresh.
Since I don't care about ray tracing I just want to buy a PC that'll hold on for a long time without struggle. But yeah I wouldn't mind setting graphics lower on some games to get better fps :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well that's the thing. It depends on the fps. The cpu sets the fps. It pre-renders every frame, so the fps limit is a cpu set hard ceiling. Those pre-renders get moved to the gpu, which finishes the render according to resolution and details.

So say the game code allows the cpu to pre-render 100fps. That's all you get, total. That fps goes to the gpu. If you have a weaker gpu and high detail settings, you may only get 50fps on the screen, out of a possible 100. Changing to low doesn't improve the fps, it's still 100, but does allow the gpu to finish more, so fps on-screen goes up. If you get an overly strong gpu that's capable of more than 100fps at ultra, changing to low doesn't change the 100fps limit.

That's what's meant by overkill, the 2070S is capable of more than 144fps in many games at ultra settings, sometimes much more. On the other hand, there are games it'll be stretched to get 90fps at ultra, but dumping many of the useless post-processing affects to medium won't really change the look of the game, but can allow the gpu to fulfill more of its potential and get you back up around 140fps.

But that figure is set by the cpu, so in some games you may only see 60fps, set by cpu, with a gpu capable of over 140.

It's very iffy as to exactly what's going to happen, according to game code and how well/badly its optimized and just what settings you apply.

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
Well that's the thing. It depends on the fps. The cpu sets the fps. It pre-renders every frame, so the fps limit is a cpu set hard ceiling. Those pre-renders get moved to the gpu, which finishes the render according to resolution and details.

So say the game code allows the cpu to pre-render 100fps. That's all you get, total. That fps goes to the gpu. If you have a weaker gpu and high detail settings, you may only get 50fps on the screen, out of a possible 100. Changing to low doesn't improve the fps, it's still 100, but does allow the gpu to finish more, so fps on-screen goes up. If you get an overly strong gpu that's capable of more than 100fps at ultra, changing to low doesn't change the 100fps limit.

That's what's meant by overkill, the 2070S is capable of more than 144fps in many games at ultra settings, sometimes much more. On the other hand, there are games it'll be stretched to get 90fps at ultra, but dumping many of the useless post-processing affects to medium won't really change the look of the game, but can allow the gpu to fulfill more of its potential and get you back up around 140fps.

But that figure is set by the cpu, so in some games you may only see 60fps, set by cpu, with a gpu capable of over 140.

It's very iffy as to exactly what's going to happen, according to game code and how well/badly its optimized and just what settings you apply.
Thanks for explaining me, anyway i'll just buy 2070.
So the pc im looking to build is:
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X
CPU: i7 9700kf
RAM: Gigabyte AORUS DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz RGB
PSU: Cooler Master 750W MWE GOLD or Be Quiet! Pure Power 700W Gold
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC RTX 2070 Super (actually as of typing this im looking up every tech store in my country and there are more Super 2070's than normal 2070's. Is that weird?)
DISK: Samsung SSD disk 860 EVO 500 GB, Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB
COOLING: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
CASE: Be quiet! Silent Base 600 or NZXT H700

Can u guys help me choose the one's that I haven't decided for yet? Thanks.

Thanks for explaining me, anyway i'll just buy 2070.
So the pc im looking to build is:
MOBO: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X
CPU: i7 9700kf
RAM: Gigabyte AORUS DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz RGB
PSU: Cooler Master 750W MWE GOLD or Be Quiet! Pure Power 700W Gold
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC RTX 2070 Super (actually as of typing this im looking up every tech store in my country and there are more Super 2070's than normal 2070's. Is that weird?)
DISK: Samsung SSD disk 860 EVO 500 GB, Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB
COOLING: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
CASE: Be quiet! Silent Base 600 or NZXT H700

Can u guys help me choose the one's that I haven't decided for yet? Thanks.
Prebuilt? If so, BeQuiet PSU, NZXT case. If not, I'd say get a different PSU and case entirely.

Reactions: DanijelPeder
Yeah I selected those parts and they're gonna build it bcs idk how to and as much as I want to try it im scared lol. What PSU do u recommend?
I'd recommend a corsair rm/rmx/txm psu and a phanteks p400a case, since its much better for airflow. But if you do like a closed off front panel, the H700 isn't terrible for airflow, it just isnt that good.
I also suggest getting a 1TB cruial MX500 instead of a 500gb ssd and 2tb hdd, unless you really do need 2.5TB of storage.

DanijelPeder

Commendable
Mar 31, 2019
I'd recommend a corsair rm/rmx/txm psu and a phanteks p400a case, since its much better for airflow. But if you do like a closed off front panel, the H700 isn't terrible for airflow, it just isnt that good.
I also suggest getting a 1TB cruial MX500 instead of a 500gb ssd and 2tb hdd, unless you really do need 2.5TB of storage.
Yeah I decided to go for corsair RM 750W, I play mostly games and watch movies 1tb and 500ssd should be enough right? I have Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB and the company that's gonna build the PC wants to put in nvme ssd 500gb. What do u recommend?

Yeah I decided to go for corsair RM 750W, I play mostly games and watch movies 1tb and 500ssd should be enough right? I have Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB and the company that's gonna build the PC wants to put in nvme ssd 500gb. What do u recommend?
Get a 650W unit. 750 is overkill. Get a 1tb ssd then. I suggest crucial mx500 which has the same speeds and quality as 860 evo but without the samsung tax.