[SOLVED] Buying Guide of the right UPS

russelbrown

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
Hi, I got a question on where do I base the right ups for a system unit? Should I base only in the watts of PSU? or should I calculate all the components of my system unit and also the monitor?

Solution
Hi, I got a question on where do I base the right ups for a system unit? Should I base only in the watts of PSU? or should I calculate all the components of my system unit and also the monitor?

You definitely need to consider the monitor, as well as anything else you plug into the UPS. It could be that your PC draws less power than the max the PSU can supply though. Also remember that a UPS may not provide as much surge protection as a quality surge protector, if that is a concern for you.

If you do need a UPS, you would need to size it appropriately for your total Watt draw. I have a 1500VA CyberPower UPS that's rated for 1000W, for example. But I still have my main PC plugged in to a surge protector, not a UPS since I'm...

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018

You definitely need to consider the monitor, as well as anything else you plug into the UPS. It could be that your PC draws less power than the max the PSU can supply though. Also remember that a UPS may not provide as much surge protection as a quality surge protector, if that is a concern for you.

If you do need a UPS, you would need to size it appropriately for your total Watt draw. I have a 1500VA CyberPower UPS that's rated for 1000W, for example. But I still have my main PC plugged in to a surge protector, not a UPS since I'm paranoid about that.

Solution

russelbrown

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019

If you do need a UPS, you would need to size it appropriately for your total Watt draw. I have a 1500VA CyberPower UPS that's rated for 1000W, for example. But I still have my main PC plugged in to a surge protector, not a UPS since I'm paranoid about that.

Oh thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind.