Question Buying help for student

Aug 11, 2019
Hi there

I'm looking for a laptop for uni

Budget is around £700 and I've narrowed it down to the ideapad 530s or thinkpad E490

Not sure which one to get Both fit budget (£700) Both have i5, 256 GB SSD, 8GB DDR4

Thinkpad is heavier and not as nice looking but has better battery and keyboard

Would be for carrying around to uni all day for lectures etc

I am open for other suggestions

thanks!

Sagar_20

Distinguished
The lenovo Thinkpad E490 is a durable laptop and has better keyboard, but check the display resolution.

Lenovo Ideapad 530s on the other hand comes with AMD R5 APU which is known for it's superior integrated graphics performance.

If you do not have graphics intensive needs, then get the Thinkpad.

It's a bit heavy for it's size but sturdy and long lasting.

Aug 11, 2019
The lenovo Thinkpad E490 is a durable laptop and has better keyboard, but check the display resolution.

Lenovo Ideapad 530s on the other hand comes with AMD R5 APU which is known for it's superior integrated graphics performance.

If you do not have graphics intensive needs, then get the Thinkpad.

It's a bit heavy for it's size but sturdy and long lasting.

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/Ideapad-530S-14-Intel/p/81EU00CJUK

this 530s doesn't have a GPU but I don't think I will be gaming anyway

for the thinkpad the screen is a : "14.0"FHD IPS AntiGlare LED Backlight 1920x1080"

On the review for it on notebook check it did say the screen wasn't great

The ports for the E490 are

• USB-C (supports power delivery & can be used as DisplayPort)
  • 2 x USB 3.1
  • USB 2.0
  • HDMI 1.4b
  • RJ45
  • MicroSD card reader
  • Headphone / mic combo

I read that having a USB 2.0 is not good at all, but im not sure. the laptop is slightly bulkier and i dont know if it will be annoying to carry around but it should be fine, still just not sure which one to get (im looking at other options as well)

thanks!