Buying local - new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

As much as possible I like to buy locally. My wife wants a new laptop
(has a Thinkpad 600 with 98SE)for her sewing and digitizing s/w and
quilting programs - plus connect to my wireless desktop with Firefox
and T'bird. My local computer store sells ASI laptops.

He has the following:
ASI Notebook Model C7115 (2 spindle)
Compal mfg
Processor: Intel Pentium M with 533 MHz and 2MB L2 cache (Dothan 90nm)
Processor speed: 2.0MHz, 533MHz FSB
Chip set: Intel 915SGM (Alviso-GM) / ICH6-M
Memory: DDR333 DDR1 SDRAM - 1GB
Graphics: Embedded Intel 915GM internal graphics controller (Intel GMA
900),
with up to 224MB shared memory for display cache with Intel DVMT 3.0
technology.
Hard drive: 80GB 5400RPM (cooler and saves battery over the 7200RPM)
Display: 15.4 WXGA (1280 x 800) widescreen Activ Matrix TFT
Optical Multiledia: Combo drive (8x DVD-Rom, 24x CD-R, 24x CD-RW and
24x CDR)
Networking: Integrated Realtek 8169/8100 single chip 10/100/1000
Ethernet
Modem: Integrated Agere V.92 AC'97 data/FAX
Wireless: Intel Pro/Wireless 2951ABG (802a/b/g)
PCMCIA: one Type II card slot

Synaptics Touchpad, desktop like keyboard, built in Realtec ALC250
AC'97 compliant audo chip (built in stereo 2W speakers, card reader
(will use a USB reader for her CF cards), Win'XP Pro with CD, AC
adapter, Lithium-Ion battery w/8 cells approx 4.5hrs operation time
(varies), a USB external 'A' drive (some sewing s/w still requires
floppy disks) - weight about 6.5lbs. 1 yr P&L, 2 yrs parts.

Will probably use USB accessories when needed - printer, mouse, etc.

This is priced at about $1600 plus tax.

Any changes I should make, or any options shown that don't play well
together?

All ASI specs/options can be seen at
http://www.asimobile.com/nb_comp_sheet.htm

Thanks in advance

Never heard of them. I have heard of Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, Acer and
Fujitsu.

<robertandsusan@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
> As much as possible I like to buy locally. My wife wants a new laptop
> (has a Thinkpad 600 with 98SE)for her sewing and digitizing s/w and
> quilting programs - plus connect to my wireless desktop with Firefox
> and T'bird. My local computer store sells ASI laptops.
>
> He has the following:
> ASI Notebook Model C7115 (2 spindle)
> Compal mfg
> Processor: Intel Pentium M with 533 MHz and 2MB L2 cache (Dothan 90nm)
> Processor speed: 2.0MHz, 533MHz FSB
> Chip set: Intel 915SGM (Alviso-GM) / ICH6-M
> Memory: DDR333 DDR1 SDRAM - 1GB
> Graphics: Embedded Intel 915GM internal graphics controller (Intel GMA
> 900),
> with up to 224MB shared memory for display cache with Intel DVMT 3.0
> technology.
> Hard drive: 80GB 5400RPM (cooler and saves battery over the 7200RPM)
> Display: 15.4 WXGA (1280 x 800) widescreen Activ Matrix TFT
> Optical Multiledia: Combo drive (8x DVD-Rom, 24x CD-R, 24x CD-RW and
> 24x CDR)
> Networking: Integrated Realtek 8169/8100 single chip 10/100/1000
> Ethernet
> Modem: Integrated Agere V.92 AC'97 data/FAX
> Wireless: Intel Pro/Wireless 2951ABG (802a/b/g)
> PCMCIA: one Type II card slot
>
> Synaptics Touchpad, desktop like keyboard, built in Realtec ALC250
> AC'97 compliant audo chip (built in stereo 2W speakers, card reader
> (will use a USB reader for her CF cards), Win'XP Pro with CD, AC
> adapter, Lithium-Ion battery w/8 cells approx 4.5hrs operation time
> (varies), a USB external 'A' drive (some sewing s/w still requires
> floppy disks) - weight about 6.5lbs. 1 yr P&L, 2 yrs parts.
>
> Will probably use USB accessories when needed - printer, mouse, etc.
>
> This is priced at about $1600 plus tax.
>
> Any changes I should make, or any options shown that don't play well
> together?
>
> All ASI specs/options can be seen at
> http://www.asimobile.com/nb_comp_sheet.htm
>
> Thanks in advance

This is not a "first tier" laptop, and I would avoid buying a "2nd" (or
lower tier) product. The risk of serious support problems down the road
is very, very substantial. Stay with Toshiba, IBM (Lenovo), Dell, Sony,
HP, Compaq, Gateway. Maybe Averetec. But I would not stray outside
those brands (and I have a strong preference for the first 3 of those).

robertandsusan@fastmail.fm wrote:

> As much as possible I like to buy locally. My wife wants a new laptop
> (has a Thinkpad 600 with 98SE)for her sewing and digitizing s/w and
> quilting programs - plus connect to my wireless desktop with Firefox
> and T'bird. My local computer store sells ASI laptops.
>
> He has the following:
> ASI Notebook Model C7115 (2 spindle)
> Compal mfg
> Processor: Intel Pentium M with 533 MHz and 2MB L2 cache (Dothan 90nm)
> Processor speed: 2.0MHz, 533MHz FSB
> Chip set: Intel 915SGM (Alviso-GM) / ICH6-M
> Memory: DDR333 DDR1 SDRAM - 1GB
> Graphics: Embedded Intel 915GM internal graphics controller (Intel GMA
> 900),
> with up to 224MB shared memory for display cache with Intel DVMT 3.0
> technology.
> Hard drive: 80GB 5400RPM (cooler and saves battery over the 7200RPM)
> Display: 15.4 WXGA (1280 x 800) widescreen Activ Matrix TFT
> Optical Multiledia: Combo drive (8x DVD-Rom, 24x CD-R, 24x CD-RW and
> 24x CDR)
> Networking: Integrated Realtek 8169/8100 single chip 10/100/1000
> Ethernet
> Modem: Integrated Agere V.92 AC'97 data/FAX
> Wireless: Intel Pro/Wireless 2951ABG (802a/b/g)
> PCMCIA: one Type II card slot
>
> Synaptics Touchpad, desktop like keyboard, built in Realtec ALC250
> AC'97 compliant audo chip (built in stereo 2W speakers, card reader
> (will use a USB reader for her CF cards), Win'XP Pro with CD, AC
> adapter, Lithium-Ion battery w/8 cells approx 4.5hrs operation time
> (varies), a USB external 'A' drive (some sewing s/w still requires
> floppy disks) - weight about 6.5lbs. 1 yr P&L, 2 yrs parts.
>
> Will probably use USB accessories when needed - printer, mouse, etc.
>
> This is priced at about $1600 plus tax.
>
> Any changes I should make, or any options shown that don't play well
> together?
>
> All ASI specs/options can be seen at
> http://www.asimobile.com/nb_comp_sheet.htm
>
> Thanks in advance

Prehaps I could have been more clear about this post - as many of you
know "Virtually none of the "Name Brand" manufacture their own laptops.
The few notable exceptions are IBM, Acer, Toshiba, Twinhead and Apple.
Yet, even Toshiba and Apple do not make all of their own. All of the
rest buy their laptops from what is called an Original Design
Manufacturer (ODM).

ODMs are the true manufacturers who actually cast, and assemble the
main unit which includes the motherboard, outside casing, and display.
A few examples of ODMs are Quanta, Compal, Clevo, Mitac, Asus, AOPEN
(Acer), Uniwill, and TwinHead"

See: http://www.mopo.ca/real-laptop-manufacturers.html
and
http://www.gen-x-pc.com/laptopmanu.htm
for a couple of articles re this subject.

So my original request was to possibly suggest is my configuration
'way out of line' - for example, this is a Compal ODM (no problems seen
here??), lots of current (not the very latest, but still current)
Intel components, hard drive is fine. But, how about the imbedded
graphics stats - ok or should I insist on a separate graphics card (no
games to be played), is the sound setup ok? The warranty seems ok and
the service tec is local and speaks English.

So I could buy a Dell - made by Compal, then make some decisions about
options Dell offers (hard drive size, etc) and get the same brands my
local shop installs, or I could get the same thing, same parts, locally
- for maybe less money.

Yes and now.

Understood, it's made by Compal, as are (for example) some Toshiba
models (generally the less desirable models).

However, if you have a problem down the road, and it's a Compal made by
Toshiba, you can [generally] get parts and service from Toshiba.

On the other hand, if you have some "other" no-name laptop made by
Compal, you could very well be out of luck if you need anything ....
even just a replacement battery.

Do not underestimate the importance of the "Marketing Manufacturer" of
the laptop. There is a huge difference between a Toshiba notebook made
by Compal and an "XYZ" notebook made by Compal.