Question Buying more ram

NekoVerse

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I currently have a 2x16gb set of ram, and I'm looking to get to a total of 32gb, if I buy the exact same 2x16gb set, it's fine to have 4 of those sticks, correct?
edit: meant to say I have 2x8gb and want to get another 2x8gb

Last edited:
You have 2x16GB and you want to add 2x16GB of the same brand and model of RAM to have 64GB of RAM?

Do you need the 64GB of RAM? Only a productivity workstation would need that unless you have a 32GB RAM drive or a few VM's running.

There is no guarantee that mixing RAM will work even if it's the same brand and model RAM.

It could :
  • Work ok with the other 2 sticks. You will be able to use XMP to advertised speed and everything will work ok.
  • The computer will not stick with the XMP profile and you will have to run at lower speed because of the 4 sticks not working well together or because of the the stress added to the memory controller because of the 4 sticks vs 2 sticks. 2 sticks it's easier to get advertised speed using XMP. 4 sticks can give you issues.
  • The computer will just BSOD and crash. The 2 kits are not liking each other.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTS0ybQ3lCI

The best format for RAM is 2 sticks in the total amount of RAM you want. A 2x32GB RAM Kit would be the best here.

NekoVerse

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020

ASK THE COMMUNITY