[SOLVED] Buying more ram

NekoVerse

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question, but I currently have a 2x16gb set of ram, and I'm looking to get to a total of 32gb, if I buy the exact same 2x16gb set, it's fine to have 4 of those sticks, correct?
edit: meant to say I have 2x8gb and want to get another 2x8gb

Last edited:
Solution
You have 2x16GB and you want to add 2x16GB of the same brand and model of RAM to have 64GB of RAM?

Do you need the 64GB of RAM? Only a productivity workstation would need that unless you have a 32GB RAM drive or a few VM's running.

There is no guarantee that mixing RAM will work even if it's the same brand and model RAM.

It could :
  • Work ok with the other 2 sticks. You will be able to use XMP to advertised speed and everything will work ok.
  • The computer will not stick with the XMP profile and you will have to run at lower speed because of the 4 sticks not working well together or because of the the stress added to the memory controller because of the 4 sticks vs 2 sticks. 2 sticks it's easier to get advertised speed using...
You have 2x16GB and you want to add 2x16GB of the same brand and model of RAM to have 64GB of RAM?

Do you need the 64GB of RAM? Only a productivity workstation would need that unless you have a 32GB RAM drive or a few VM's running.

There is no guarantee that mixing RAM will work even if it's the same brand and model RAM.

It could :
  • Work ok with the other 2 sticks. You will be able to use XMP to advertised speed and everything will work ok.
  • The computer will not stick with the XMP profile and you will have to run at lower speed because of the 4 sticks not working well together or because of the the stress added to the memory controller because of the 4 sticks vs 2 sticks. 2 sticks it's easier to get advertised speed using XMP. 4 sticks can give you issues.
  • The computer will just BSOD and crash. The 2 kits are not liking each other.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTS0ybQ3lCI

The best format for RAM is 2 sticks in the total amount of RAM you want. A 2x32GB RAM Kit would be the best here.

Solution

NekoVerse

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020