[SOLVED] Buying my first GPU

darkfate157

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Hi guys, I'm going to be buying a GPU for the first time ever and I would like to know if there's going to be a problem with it because I'm getting tired of using integrated graphics cards.

My specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel HD 530
CPU: Intel core i5-6400
Motherboard: ASUS H110M-D 1151
RAM: 1X8GB Kingston Hyperx DDR4 2133mhz
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W ATX 12 V2.3
1 TB HDD

I was thinking about buying a PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 570 on amazon. But I don't know if I should get something else. Right now I have a 1360x720 monitor but I will be upgrading to a 1920x1080 one. This will be the only upgrade I'll be doing for some time, do you think this is enough to run recent games like rdr2 or Monster Hunter World and future ones on high settings? I don't really care about ultra settings.

Last thing is, you think using the stock cooler of the cpu would be OK?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
You won't have a smoother experience in newer titles after getting the RX 570 due to the single channel memory configuration.
You could either just add another identical 8GB stick, with a low chance of failure due to incompatibility, or get a new 2x 8GB kit and perhaps sell the single stick.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You won't have a smoother experience in newer titles after getting the RX 570 due to the single channel memory configuration.
You could either just add another identical 8GB stick, with a low chance of failure due to incompatibility, or get a new 2x 8GB kit and perhaps sell the single stick.

Solution

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
I agreed with this guy, you should get a dual-channel memory configuration and buy the Rx 570 you got a decent CPU, i will also recommend you a better PSU, a corsair cx 2017 of 550 or 650w you actual psu is a bad quality one

Agreed. Add more ram. The RX 570 should be a good upgrade. However, depending what you are paying for the RX 570, I might suggest looking into the nvidia gtx 1650 super as it's newer and would probably perform better.

I do agree as well, changing the power supply for a different unit would be a good idea. You don't want a power supply to go out and damage your system.

darkfate157

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Thank you so much for the feedback guys!

So as you all suggested I will start by upgrading my ram to double channel I'm planning on buying a CORSAIR DDR4 2x8GB 2400mhz, I read some threads online that even if my motherboard supports only 2133mhz it will automatically run at that speed so I don't think I will have a problem on that one.

As for the PSU I'll change it for a better one, I saw on Amazon the Corsair cx 2017 but, I'll like to ask, what are the companies that make the best ones? I'm planning on buying one with 550W or 600W.
Thanks for the help!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
what are the companies that make the best ones?
They ALL make their share of good and bad ones. Your best bet is to find legit reviews of the item in question - not some literal sideshow where all they do is show off the product and don't even show any test results... This happens frequently with cases: a company will pay some small time Youtuber, or whatever to 'review' their case and it's just a sideshow with no mention of thermals or even cable management. Then, when people who get drawn in actually buy the thing, more often than not, it sucks.

Not all the 'bad psus' are necessarily bad, but they serve a different purpose.
I'll categorize them as home/office PCs or gaming oriented PCs. Home/office don't usually require much power, but their workloads are more consistent, and that makes them easy for just about any kind of psu to deal with.
Put a gaming graphics card inside - especially one that requires external connections, and that changes.
The power required and the level of the workload are constantly fluctuating, and that's hard on all but the more robust units.

A cheap Corsair VS series psu is better suited for a home/office PC(Corsair even states so on their website).
Gaming? Nope, better look to something like their RM/RMX series instead.

darkfate157

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
OK, I think I'll buy the Seasonic Focus GX-550 I haven't seen many bad reviews some only complain about fan noises and its only $100 on Amazon but it's out of stock atm.

What do you guys think about it?

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
OK, I think I'll buy the Seasonic Focus GX-550 I haven't seen many bad reviews some only complain about fan noises and its only $100 on Amazon but it's out of stock atm.

What do you guys think about it?
justread the PSU buying guide here at tom hardware is one and linus tech tips has another, sometimes 80+ gold can be worse than a good made 80+ bronze

darkfate157

Reputable
Feb 26, 2016
Great! thanks for the help guys I will have to save a little bit more and wait some time but I think it will be worth it.

Thanks again to everyone who took their time to help me, really aprecciate it.