buying my first SSD to put into my first PC build

TacticalBeard

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016
so im currently towards the end of my PC build and im looking at SSDs but i really dont know much other than Samsung is the "best" and well most expensive. im looking for a 240GB for a boot drive and the a 1TB for my steam library.

this was the first 240GB i looked at its an OCZ 150 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820228142

and then the second one is PNY http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820178967

there both around the same price but im not sure what to get or maybe there both bad. thats why im here for tips from ppl who know what there doing. id be " cloning" or moving my windows 10 off my current 1 TB HDD ive never done it befor so id imagine id need some kind of software.

as for the 1TB SSD i was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226596

seems to be about the cheapest 1TB and it has decent reviews.

any one have any ideas or tips for me?

current parts i have :

i7-6700K
ASUS Z170-A MB
16GB Gskil Ripjaws 3200 DDR4 RAM
Corsair cs650m 650 watt gold rated PSU
corsair H110i 280mm cpu cooler
Anidees AI-Crystal case

parts that i still need:

the above mentioned SSDs for storage

a WLAN card for the wifi

and a GPU cant decide on a 1080 or wait for 1080TI

Solution
Their a lot of good SSD's in the market today. Any of them will be a huge improvement over the traditional platter drives. I have used several different SSD's for different use cases and been happy with all of them. You didn't provide much detail on what your use case is , but I don't think you picked anything horrible. I do like the samsung too, but you pay for it and everybody might not need that.

As far as the 1TB SSd prime day had them about 100 dollars cheaper, me personally would wait till they go back on sale again. Do you need the 1TB as SSD for data, or could you get by with a platter drive? You could buy two Blue's or REDS and put them in RAID 1 for cheaper than that 1tb SSD. Goes back to what do you "need/want". I...

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Their a lot of good SSD's in the market today. Any of them will be a huge improvement over the traditional platter drives. I have used several different SSD's for different use cases and been happy with all of them. You didn't provide much detail on what your use case is , but I don't think you picked anything horrible. I do like the samsung too, but you pay for it and everybody might not need that.

As far as the 1TB SSd prime day had them about 100 dollars cheaper, me personally would wait till they go back on sale again. Do you need the 1TB as SSD for data, or could you get by with a platter drive? You could buy two Blue's or REDS and put them in RAID 1 for cheaper than that 1tb SSD. Goes back to what do you "need/want". I would rather have mirrored platter drives as data, but if you want the speed it might be a better option for you.

Just goes back to you and what you need. No really wrong answers, and its your build :)

Solution

TacticalBeard

Honorable
Aug 17, 2016

as for my current uses
its just a gaming rig i dont do any video editing or professional use. as for the amount of storage yes i need a 1 TB SSD for my steam library as my current HDD of the same size is almost full( just want the speed SSDs have ove HDDs for my new build i mean ill keep my old HDD in the new build but just incase i run out of SSD room) . and i did watch the prime day sales for SSDs and they were not really that good i double checked the " sale " price with new eggs and i did not have the cash at the time. however if no one seems to have any suggestions tips or warnings ill buy this set up of a 240gb boot drive and a 1tb when pay day hits on Friday

Guess how often this question is asked... everyday, multiple times. All you had to do is to scan past posts and you will get more input and you can ever hoped for.

Someone says all of life's questions is already been answered, you just have to look.