Buying new Components - New build - i7 7700 ....

sonors98

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
Motherboard : B150M-D2V DDR3
CPU : i7-7700 4.2 ghz
PSU - CM MasterWatt 600W
RAM - Kingston 8 GB 1866 MHZ

Buying these new components to swap on my current pc and im also getting a 3rd display

Do u think this build will make checking financial charts and stuff like this breeze ? I am coming from a core 2 duo e 8400 processor and 4 gb ram ddr2

Solution

Right, I didn't know that(guess you learn something new everyday). But you can use the third monitor with the integrated graphics. However, a Ryzen system doesn't have integrated graphics. So the motherboard ports wouldn't have any video in them, so your only option is to either add another 560 Ti, or just get a new graphics card that supports three monitors. There may be other solutions as well, for example I've just read some newer displayport monitors support daisy-chain linkage, so you can use just one...
Which Ryzen - depends on your needs. If you want the CPU to last between 3-5 years for gaming, the Ryzen 5 1600 is an excellent choice. For more than 5 years in gaming, or if you are a content creator(video editing, rendering, animation, etc), then the Ryzen 7 1700 will be better. Either way, for 60 FPS gaming, don't go with the i7, at least not the 7th gen ones.

What's the difference - more cores. An i7 7700 is 4 core, 8 thread, and costs more than a 6-core 12-thread Ryzen 5 1600. Also, Ryzen processors are overclockable on cheaper B350 boards, while you can't overclock the 7700 at all. The Ryzen processors also come with very nice coolers, and on stock cooling they will always overclock to at least 3.7 GHz, if not more. On more cooling, you can hit 3.8-4.0 GHz as well.

The difference, in terms of what matters, is that a Ryzen processor will last longer in games, while an i7 will not. Games have started using more than 4 cores(or they soon will, depends on how you want to look at it), which is why a current gen i7 is not considered future-proof anymore. Now, Intel will be launching their next gen 8th gen CPUs soon, and they are rumored to have 6 cores. But you'll have to wait for them to launch. For now, it's just Ryzen.

Another major difference is high refresh rate gaming. AMD has always lagged a bit in that field. Intel CPUs have higher IPC and clock speed, which helps them in delivering at high refresh rates, ie, 144+ Hz. Ryzen processors, on the other hand, lag behind in such high FPS due to lower clock speed. Since you'll probably game at 60 FPS, the Ryzen is better, since your monitor won't be able to display more than 60 FPS(or so I'm assuming).

One final difference is upgradability. Ryzen processors are on the AM4 socket, which was introduced only in March this year. On the other hand, 7th gen Intel is on LGA 1151, which is now an older socket and you won't be able to upgrade to the 8th gen CPUs if you buy the 7th gen motherboards. On the other hand, AMD has committed to the AM4 socket till at least 2020, which means that you can buy the next generation on AMD processors and keep the same motherboard for using them.

This will be HUGELY faster for what you do.

The PRICE of this system should have fallen the equivalent of $100US or more in the last month, i7-7700 was a very very high end part. But the new Intel Coffee Lake processors have midtier processors that are faster. The price of i7-7700 parts is falling as people clear them out.

If you do not get a good price then wait a month and get a part that starts i7-8 instead of i7-7.

GL.

p.s. for your workloads the i7 is likely faster than the ryzen, but they are both hugely faster than what you have. You likely want the intel because not all software is optimized for ryzen.

sonors98

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017

I dont plan gaming on the computer much :/ I only play league of legends and counter strike global offensive rarely... I would probably try out some new title but im not like buying these components for strictly gaming.
I am trying to have a 3 monitor setup and look at charts and refresh lots of pages at the same time
Is there any way i can link 3 monitors to my gtx 560 ti +motherboard ?

That still counts as multi-tasking, in which again a Ryzen processor is better. I don't know how intensive your workflow will be, but it will probably benefit from more cores if it includes having multiple applications/instances of one application open at the same time. Multitasking is a breeze on higher-end Ryzen processors, thanks to the more number of cores. If, however, your workflow only utilizes a single thread/core, then Ryzen won't be as good, since multi-threading is where it shines the most.

As for the 3-monitors, doesn't your 560 Ti have 3 video out ports? You can just use one port for each monitor. If the ports are not enough for the monitors, you can use adapters to convert one port to another. Take, for example, that all monitors you have use HDMI ports, and your GPU has 2 HDMI ports and a Displayport. Then you can use a Displayport to HDMI adapter to connect all three monitors to the GPU. If you want to connect one or two monitors to the motherboard instead, you can do that as well - it's what I'm doing currently, with my crappy monitor connected to the crappy GPU, and the good monitor connected to the slightly better integrated graphics(motherboard port, that is).

sonors98

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017

ye it does have 3 outputs but i read on forums that the nvidia 500 series only support 2 monitors :/ SO the only way i found out i can link 3 monitors is use 2 monitors with the graphic card and one with the motherboard

Right, I didn't know that(guess you learn something new everyday). But you can use the third monitor with the integrated graphics. However, a Ryzen system doesn't have integrated graphics. So the motherboard ports wouldn't have any video in them, so your only option is to either add another 560 Ti, or just get a new graphics card that supports three monitors. There may be other solutions as well, for example I've just read some newer displayport monitors support daisy-chain linkage, so you can use just one displayport to connect all the monitors, and all the monitors are connected to each other. You can use hubs as well, but I just can't find the right term to search, since most of them are of the multiple-input, single-output type, while you need the opposite.

This looks like what you'd need:

http://a.co/dCQR9Ll

Solution

No, that would give him many copies of the same screen. He likely wants different data on each screen.

coolerjoki

Prominent
Aug 16, 2017

You don't have a Skylake chip so you can't upgrade your BIOS which means you would need a B250 motherboard for it to work! Also since you are making financial charts I would recommend a Ryzen 7 1700, 1800, or 1800x and higher speed RAM!

Most B150 boards are now coming with the BIOS updates, and if they aren't, you can usually ask the seller nicely, and they'd do it for you before sending it.