Buying new components step by step insead of 5 years old pc

matizami

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013
Hi guys,
Since I was young I was buying a new pc every 5 years give or take. The older I get the less time I spend playing computer games, but now more than 5 years has passed and I feel it's time for some new components, if not all. I'm planning on replacing most of my pc, except PSU and case (unless you advise otherwise), within 6 months or so, by buying one or two new components at the time.
Below you will find my pc, and the first question is whether the PSU is strong enough. The order of purchasing will be:
1) Motherboard and CPU ( i5 8400 + MB B360/ Z370M )
2) GPU (GTX 1060 6GB)
3)500GB SSD + 8*2 GB Ram

The specif components I wrote are just an example, but you can see pretty much what I'm looking for.
What do you say about my idea? Do you think the order is ok? I mean what will give be better results/improvement. At the moment I play Overwatch and Frostpunk. I'd say once a year I play a more graphic demand game. If you have recommendation for something else, I would love to hear

My pc:
Intel Core i5 4570 3.2Ghz
R9 280 (not sure how many GB)
Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
Fractal Design Define R4 + FSP RAIDER 650W
Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz x2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB SATA3
Samsung 840 250GB 2.5" SSD

I think buying the GPU first will give you the most immediate improvement and you may decide you don't need to replace anything else for another year or so. That processor is still very capable.

If you decide to replace your CPU and motherboard you will also need DDR 4 at the same time. This combo is typically the most expensive but will last you the longest once upgraded.

Yeah, I agree. Your CPU and RAM are still pretty capable as far as gaming performance is concerned. Practically all of today's games are still designed to get good performance on a quad-core processor, and the per-core performance of an i5-8400 is only somewhere around 20-25% faster than the CPU you have. Your current processor should have little trouble maintaining 60fps in most existing games when paired with a capable graphics card, and at 1080p with ultra graphics settings, the 1060 might be limiting performance more than your CPU. Likewise, almost all games still run rather well on 8GB of RAM, and RAM is priced rather high at the moment.

I don't think you listed what graphics card you currently have, but if it's below the performance level of a GTX 1050, then a GTX 1060 alone would likely provide a much larger boost to gaming performance than all of the other components combined. Personally, I would just go for a graphics card upgrade for now, and hold off on the other components at least until sometime after Intel and AMD launch their 10/7nm CPUs next year. And since you wouldn't be upgrading the other components for a while, you could optionally even spend more on a higher-end graphics card now. Or, wait a bit and see what Nvidia's next generation of cards is like, which they should be launching over the course of the coming months. The GTX 1060 has been out for close to two years at this point, and due to a shortage some months back, graphics cards are currently priced higher now than they were a year or two ago.

matizami

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2013

Thanks guys for answering, I wasn't aware of the require of new RAM together with motherboard.

You're right. I just added my GPU, it's R9 280. Which mean new GPU will give me the best boost.
Waiting for new generation of CPU/GPU is a game I can always play, since I'm not stressed buying new components. Considering the fact that Nvidia and Intel planning new generation, maybe I'll wait, unless there will be a good sale, but anyway I'll start with GPU