Question Buying New Laptop – Video Editing

eager to learn

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
Buying New Laptop – Video Editing

Hi all,

I’m not a techie so I’m interested in hearing from others who are.

I’m searching for a new laptop as my Toshiba is 10+ years old.

I want to do some video editing with the laptop, possibly using ShotCut.

I’m wondering if I can just use onboard graphics or if I’ll need a separate graphics card?

If I necessarily need a separate card, which manufacturer(s) (models) have you had the most success with?

Is there a way for me to ascertain if the proposed laptop works well with OpenGL 2.0 and that laptop also is compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers?

A friend using Linux Ubuntu shared they’ve had major issues with Nvidia graphics cards.

Would an AMD Radeon graphics card be best? If so, are there particular models of AMD Radeon I should look for?

I’ve also read that heat reduction of the CPU is important. How might I ascertain if a certain laptop includes good heat reduction?

Thanks so much.

Some cheap laptops have a cooler that is shared between GPU and CPU. Those may not be able to keep the CPU/GPU cool if both are working intensive, as is often the case when doing video edititing or 3D rendering.

You can often check this for any laptop model by performing web search for photos on the model name followed by " dissasembled".

eager to learn

Honorable
Feb 25, 2016
Hi Grobe,

Would I be able to vidoe edit in ShotCut wit this laptop?
https://www.costco.com/Dell-Inspiro...-Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100462006.html

Brand
Dell
Computer Type
2-in-1
Graphic Card
Intel UHD 620
Model
i7573-7994GRY-PUS
Operating System
Windows OS
Optical Drive
No Optical Drive
Processor
Intel Core i7
RAM Included
16 GB
Resolution
1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
Screen Size
15.6 in.
Screen Type
Touchscreen
SSD Size
512 GB

Some cheap laptops have a cooler that is shared between GPU and CPU. Those may not be able to keep the CPU/GPU cool if both are working intensive, as is often the case when doing video edititing or 3D rendering.

You can often check this for any laptop model by performing web search for photos on the model name followed by " dissasembled".

You can always read multiple reviews, and if you find specific contradicting points then someone here may help you clarify. Number of stars may be subjected to the testing person personal preferences and therefore the same computer may have different scores between different test sites.